jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Besides taking reef photos, I need a camera that can take decent quality videos < 5 mins to be uploaded at Youtube.com. I am considering the Cannon SD600 but I really have no clue. Any help is appreciated.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
rich

The upload trime has little to do with the camera than it does your connection -

Some take longer than others on the transfer, but most are prety quick nowadays.

Also, getting one with a removable card that you can put into a card reader ($10 on ebay) are more easily resized with an image editing software (Picasa for windows is a free powertool) helps in rsizing. Resizing also affects upload speed.

HTH

J

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I was looking for a good camera lately for school project closups and of course tank shots. Is the olypus that good? any other recommendations Jhale? was looking into a nikon/canon with a good lense....

tony are you talking about a dslr or a point and shoot?

I reocomend that olympus for one very strong reason, you can put it inside the tank! without an expensive housing no other normal digital camera can do that now.

if the under water feature is not important then there are many other cameras that could be better for you.

DP review is one of the better sites for camera research, http://www.dpreview.com/

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Jim, I was speaking about a video that is 5 mins long. Not worried about the time to upload. I will give Picasa a try though, thanks!

Jhale, that camera would be great for in tank photos. Hmm......

Pedro, I really need a camera that can take decent short films. Do you reccommend a digital camcorder? Is there a camera that will be able to do both?

I would like to keep the price under $600 if possible. This camera will be coming on a boat with me everyday so it is only a matter of time before it breaks :D

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
This camera will be coming on a boat with me everyday so it is only a matter of time before it breaks :D

did I mention that the olympus is also shock proof?
ask Kedd to tell you the story of how Cheryl was demonstrating that fact
by throwing the camera up at the cieling one night :D
On the charter boat it sounds like it would be a great choice.
you would only have to worry about dropping it in the water, it does not float.

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
If you plan on using it on the charter boat then i definately would give that cam some consideration. Honestly, if i didn't buy my wife the nikon, i probably would have bought that one myself.

Most of the time these devices are stronger in the field that they are designed for. If it's a camcorder, the videos will be great, the photos so so. Same applies to cameras. So it really comes down to what of the two is MOST inportant. Keep in mind that for Utube and such, you don't need top notch video. Also i might add that i don't even know if the cam can take 5 minutes of video. It's almost always video clips.

I would say go for the cam, and then later on invest in a camcorder. Then you will have both, and nothing to worry about!

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
the length of video depends on the card size, i forget how many minutes you get for 1G, but plan on getting extra cards if your going to record a lot of video :pimp: :bunnies:

Manny

Flying Kimura
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
the length of video depends on the card size, i forget how many minutes you get for 1G, but plan on getting extra cards if your going to record a lot of video :pimp: :bunnies:

I can get 45 minutes with the 1G card.

rich, the video you saw of us breaking ice was with that camera.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Manny I got the 1G card with it. :)

Here is the last pic with my old cam :D
Picture447.jpg

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
This camera is going to take me some time to learn :D
here's one pic in the underwater macro mode. looks a little too blue. I see how some guys on RC get their colors now :D

P1010017resize.jpg

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Generally a good gauge to see if a color has been altered or if its just off is to find and know what is supposed to be white. Judging by the glue on the base where the frags are Id say that those colors are probably what your orals look like. When you are looking through the front you have to remember that your glass is like a green filter. Take a photobox and look through the top. I found that the 720 takes pretty accurate colors in underwater macro mode.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: