• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Just took all the sand out of this tank.in that pic. here's an updated pic. But still working on it I'm trying to get up to 36 to 40 fish. So I need open water.:tank:

:bigeyes: some people here might call this overcrowding, a 180 is not really that big when you start throwing large fish into it :scratchch As it is the tank has enough large fish in it.

Also, those fish do need someplace to hide, they like having a place to go at night for shelter.
It's what they do in nature.

Last edited:

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hi Bob!

Tons of great info on this site.

36-40 fish is wayyyyy too many! Especially fish that are going to get to a good size. Give your babies a place to hide at night and from eachother, and the rocks will also help with biological filtration.

Good luck with the stand. I am researching building a new stand right now. There are lots of great threads in the DIY forum!!!

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I have friends with 40 fish in 180s that have been going strong for 10 yrs. I do have places for then to hide along the sides of my tank in the back. There was a time when I had no hiding spots for a year my fish seemed to get along a lot better. Before I started adding tangs my 6 angels got along fine with all but no chase scenes.Then I put some rock from sump which is a 125 filled 3in. from the top with lr & caleurpa and they started chasing each other a year later. With the addition of three tangs the chasing slowed down a lot. I also have a 125 with 10 different tangs that coexist in harmony. I've been told numerous times that it couldn't happen. I beg to differ 3 yrs later. With the proper feeding schedule and amount I think saltwater has multiple posibilities.:wink1: As soon as I can get to a good friend of mines home I'll take pics of a overcrowded 10yr old system. running really well, with no lr in show tank.But I don't just aim to overstock a tank, and say "look @ me". I love this saltwater thing. I'm 1 yr. over the 1 decade club and aim to start the 5 decade club, or at least join it if it exsist..."Happy reefing to all,and I want to see how deep this rabbit hole really goes" Neo....:Hydrogen: :Hydrogen: That's form "The Matrix"

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Hide on the side...:approve:

Attachments

• 100_0959.jpg
    100_0959.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 100_0993.jpg
    100_0993.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 81
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Bob I'm sure you take great care of your fish but at 36-40 fish you are pushing it to the extreme. Humans survived vietnamese pow camps it doesn't mean we should start living in them. Your tank has more than enough fish now and they really do need hiding places. Just because you know people who have gotten away with it doesn't mean it's right or you should do it.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I don't just know people that have overstocked and thrived I'm a member..Any additions to my tank would be consistent with clean-up crew starfish, cleaner wrasse, shrimp, nudibranchs...
Lfsmarineguy I don't understand your comment:scratch: .."If I got smart with you would you know it??? Pertaining to the fish.. If I could monitor your eating, breathing, swimming, downtime habits,and your enviroment.....:yeah: I would know....:wink1:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Bob, LFS's comment you mentioned is his signature line, it appears in all his posts, like my quote does at the bottom of my post.

You have to understand people on this site are generally not big fans of stuffing tanks full of fish. When we see that it tends to freak us out as most often it's people who do not know what they are doing.
What happens when your fish outgrow the tank, will you find them new homes? Those unicorn tangs for instance get real big. I've seen them in the tank at Atlantis in Riverhead LI, full grown they are more than 2 feet.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Yes I do understand that but what does it mean? I'm trying to get to know everyones pictures and signatures..Ilike Fritz's Ladies man that's bringing sexy back.. I'm also planning a 12ft. by 12ft. beast for my livingroom in my new home. I always plan for the future, that's also why I don't us sand and bought a denitrifier. To test the waters of tecnology..but based on my land it will most likely be 8ft. by 8ft.

Last edited:

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I missed this concern about 3 2x3's ... That's funny :party: could you image that. I have a furniture company that started from the ground up with 6 2x4's. It only appears to have 3 there's alot more but that's where my expertise comes in at.. I'm really a magician...

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The stand is not an issue. But, it seems like the tank is sitting on only 3 2"x3" over the stand. Those 2"x3" may not support the weight of the tank over time and if they break, your tank will crash into the stand even if the stand was built with steel.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: