• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

Steve Ruddy

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I’m sorry I missed the first two chat sessions. However I think I’m up to speed with the course material. I live in Guerneville CA. I have an Aquarium service company and internet store specializing in lighting products and tank raised corals that I do the photography for.
I have some experience with photography as my father used to teach a collage course and he showed me how to develop film and make prints. I have recently graduated to a Canon XSi DSLR. I have a 18-55mm 2.8. and a 100mmm 2.8 macro lens. I also have several ext tubes and remote trigger Speedlight 580 ex II flash is coming this week. I’m really enjoying the new equipment and want to learn as much as possible. I will be practicing a lot with the new flash as so far I’ve mostly done available light photography which I like a lot. I can take some decent coral shots however I need much more practice with fish. Here a few I took last week that aren't great but good enough to avoid the trash until I get better ones. The first two are with aquarium lighting only and the last was using the cameras built in flash. I didn't change the WB to flash and as a result the colors are not good and even though I shot in RAW format a WB and tint adjustment couldn't correct it. It is creative looking though however I wish the DOF was just a tad larger.

terryperc.jpg

teryywrasse.jpg

terryryalgramma.jpg

BCinYa

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice shooting Steve! Everyone loves a clown(fish).
“A clown(fish) is like aspirin, only he works twice as fast”
Groucho Marx

I really like the look of the 'artistic' bi-blenny shot! Anyone who says that photos need to be tack sharp from front to back and show true colors has a pretty limited vision of the world.

Welcome to the course Steve. If you need anything to help get caught-up, feel free to email me your questions.

Cheers, Chris

biolund

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent photographs Steve. It looks like you are well on the way to professional looking shots. I like the dottyback shot. Very dramatic and interesting. Boy that fish looks like he/she has a lot of attitude!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you have your camera settings?

It would be super helpful IMO if people left their metadata intact :) However I don't know if that is even possible with the different posting methods/sites.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: