NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
is this the sanjay that does alll the lighting test ? if so what bulbs, ballast and reflectors are you using ? as for the tank all i can say is if you ever need a house sitter let me know:D tank is just amazing and love the size. the larger width give's you so much more room to do stuff. why i am thinking of my next upgrade of a 3x3x2 or 4x4x2

sanjay

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Hope you didn't take offense to the HGH comment. Was just playing with ya.

Those pix are amazing. Post #38 pic # 4.......What is that coral?

'grats on the progress. That was some helluva mother lode of AEFW's :bigeyes2:

Russ

Russ,

Absolutely no offense taken.

That coral is a Cyphastrea.

The frags and PSU icecream await you.. time for another road trip. :)

sanjay.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
is this the sanjay that does alll the lighting test ? if so what bulbs, ballast and reflectors are you using ? as for the tank all i can say is if you ever need a house sitter let me know:D tank is just amazing and love the size. the larger width give's you so much more room to do stuff. why i am thinking of my next upgrade of a 3x3x2 or 4x4x2

yes it is:)

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Thanks Sanjay....... The PSU ice cream is worth the trip alone!!! Now add to that the couch in front of your display and I'm in heaven. As soon as I'm no longer horizontal, that road trip is a definite.

R

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
great set of photos there, those are some healthy looking colonies for having aefw's in the tank. are you doing the turkey baster method that was perfected by Randy?

how many wrasses do you have in the tank and did you add any fish specifically to eat the worms?

sanjay

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
great set of photos there, those are some healthy looking colonies for having aefw's in the tank. are you doing the turkey baster method that was perfected by Randy?

how many wrasses do you have in the tank and did you add any fish specifically to eat the worms?

Yes, I am using the " blow the AEFW off the coral" technique that Randy has had good sucess with. I also take a little maxi jet in my hand and blast the corals with it.

My flame hawks have quickly figured out that there are tasty treats that fly off when the turkey baster and my hand is in the tank.. and they will follow the turkey baster around.

I have not added any fish specifically to eat them, I have 3 leopard wrasses and a radiant wrasse in there, and they will eat the ones that come off the coral, but they are not like my flame hawks who follow the blasting of the corals.

sanjay.

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Now that is some growth! Not that anything different would be expected.
Randy and I had spoken about it, and I agree. Had I gotten AEFW again I would live with them implementing Randy's technique rather than doing what I did. I would consider contributing growth to the acros trying to out-run the AEFW highly debatable, yet I don't think that argument has been thrown on the table before. Something to think about, i guess. 2 of the best SPS tanks I have seen which had the largest captive raised colonies I had ever seen showed clear signs of AEFW. I had gotten frags from one of those tanks and dipped them in TMPC and had over 30 AEFW fall off of 1 4 inch frag within 30 seconds.
Since you are clearly high in AEFW, do you notice more on certain types of SPS? Which ones? Have you found any to be clear of AEFW? IME, I found that they like some more than others. I would like to see if you guys who are heavily infested can get them to gravitate to one species or another.
All apologies if this is a hijack. Sanjay, the tank is fantastic.
Outgrowing a 500+ gallon tank in a year... I wish.
Nice mix too.

sanjay

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Now that is some growth! Not that anything different would be expected.
Randy and I had spoken about it, and I agree. Had I gotten AEFW again I would live with them implementing Randy's technique rather than doing what I did. I would consider contributing growth to the acros trying to out-run the AEFW highly debatable, yet I don't think that argument has been thrown on the table before. Something to think about, i guess. 2 of the best SPS tanks I have seen which had the largest captive raised colonies I had ever seen showed clear signs of AEFW. I had gotten frags from one of those tanks and dipped them in TMPC and had over 30 AEFW fall off of 1 4 inch frag within 30 seconds.
Since you are clearly high in AEFW, do you notice more on certain types of SPS? Which ones? Have you found any to be clear of AEFW? IME, I found that they like some more than others. I would like to see if you guys who are heavily infested can get them to gravitate to one species or another.
All apologies if this is a hijack. Sanjay, the tank is fantastic.
Outgrowing a 500+ gallon tank in a year... I wish.
Nice mix too.

My remark about corals grow fast to out last the AEFW, was not to be taken seriously.

Yes, there are some corals that are more suceptible to AEFW than others. I find them to like the smooth skinned deep water stuff, and the milleporas and my humulis/gemmifera. My valida/nanas have been relatively free. I get now where close to 30 AEFW falling off a 4" frag... Even when I dipped the few that were bad I only got a few to fall off. So I would not say that my infestation is high. I caught it early and it did not get out of hand.

sanjay.

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Not that is was taken too seriously, just thought I'd bring up the fact that 2 of the tanks I have seen personally with amazingly sized colonies both had AEFW. My growth was pretty good too when Rich pointed my AEFW out to me.
I too had it bad with humulis. Nanas/valida were unscathed for me as well. But none of my millies had them.
For me, I didn't have it too bad, but I still went overboard with my reaction to AEFW. The frag I got those numbers off of never made it into my tank. The numbers are hardly an exaggeration though.
As I told Randy, I got AEFW during the big scare and emptied my tank of all SPS. In the event I restart, I wouldn't do that again.
Sanjay, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hijack with AEFW questions. Your tank is beautiful with impressive growth.
Please give some info on your husbandry techniques.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
You hit the nail on the head. The #1 ingredient to success in this hobby is patience. Obviously you have a lot of it...

VERY nice. I would have loved a frag of the nice green acro, but I have never had flatworms. ;-)

-Alfred

Unfortunately, I don't think there are any magic potions that are needed. The basic fundamentals - good light, water flow, good stable water parameters, and good husbandry are all that is needed, coupled with patience.

Most people in my view react to everthing and want quick results, start adding potions with the view that it will improve things and end up screwing up the tank.

sanjay.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: