susan2626

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
NYReefNoob - pipefish does fine in the moderate flow He (she?) tends to stay towards the bottom of the tank but is always out and cruising around for food. I tried putting in a second but he (she?) didn't like it. Not sure if they can be easily sexed (male/female.) He (she?) eats everything: tiny pellets, cyclops, mysis and of course loves that pods he (she :) finds after dark

susan2626

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
more spec's on my tank

Thanks for all the nice comments.... here are some more spec's and how I care for the tank

• Designed and built by Greenwich Aquaria May 2007
  • 4 side view - glass – 97.5g
  • 33.5"w x 28d x 24h
  • 60 lbs. live rock / 3-4 inch sand bed
  • 29g under-tank sump 24w x 18d x 16h
  • Auto top off
  • Mag 9 pump
  • Euroreef RS80 skimmer
  • Aqua 25 UV sterilizer

• RO-DI in basement 100 GPD

[*]
    35g Brute with Mag 7 pump

[*]
    Compact Fluorescents 9am-9pm

[*]
    Phoenix 250 Metal Halide 12n – 7pm
  • LED moonlights 6a-9a and 9p-midnight

[*]
    Blueline Ballast
Maintenance
  • Coral Life Salt

[*]
    H2O change weekly / 20 – 30 gallons

[*]
    B-Ionic 2 part- 20 mls daily

[*]
    Lugols- 1 drop / week
Feeding
  • Morning: mix of Formula One, Greenwich Aquaria Marine Flake, New Life Small Pellets and pinch of Fauna Marin Ultra Min and Clam Min
  • Evening: 2-3 cubes Hikari Mysis, Cyclopeeze
  • Target feed anemone 2/week frozen scallop or shrimp with VitaChem and Selcon
Happy Reefing

Last edited:

susan2626

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
holy lobophyllia NYreefnoob -I swapped the dimensions !! Guess that happens when I post at 1am! Between you and J Hale catching my mistakes, seems I am not too bright for a such smart girl. I have edited the post to show correct dimensions - good catch - thanks :eek::duh::eek:

Last edited:

evik

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Everything is just beautiful Susan. Especially I like this green Cynarina? What is the name?

more photos....

jhl_0237.jpg

susan2626

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
evik: I think its a lacyrmalis - not sure though. What I DO know is that its a monster! It has tripled in size since I got it in March 2007. During the day it's almost as big as a softball- then at night turns 'inside out' to feed and shrinks to about 3"! Its my favorite coral. The photo you show is taken under actinics only -no halides.

Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Gorgeous pictures. Your tank additions are amazing!!

The cynarina lacrymalis, is that the same thing as a Scoly or Donut Coral?

It is a breathtaking piece.

Best wishes with all of those beautiful babies! :)

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The cynarina lacrymalis, is that the same thing as a Scoly or Donut Coral?

Hi ;-)
No it is not. Scloy corals are Scolymia corals and are also referred as Donut or Button coral just the same as is done with Cynarina corals that are different. They are different species but are often confused.
Scolymia corals originate from the Caribbean as well as Indian and Pacific Oceans and Cynarina corals originate form the Indian and the Pacific Oceans.
They are both very beautiful.

Susan2626, congratulations for the excellent reef work your doing as well as for the excellent good taste and choices done.

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

Last edited:

susan2626

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So Pedro - what type is mine? (and again everyone, many thanks for all the nice comments....I enjoy MR so much and have learned a great deal from all of you!)

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Pedro - what type is mine? (and again everyone, many thanks for all the nice comments....I enjoy MR so much and have learned a great deal from all of you!)

jhl_0237.jpg

Hi susan ;-)

For a more accurate identification the skeleton had to be analysed, but from the three species I know, I would venture Cynarina lacrimalis
Just for information the other species I know are Cynarina deshayesiana and Cynarina macassarensis
Cynarina has many phenotypes so again, the examination of the skeleton is in many cases the only sure way to tell what is what.
Well just enjoy it...she's beautiful ;-)

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: