bigyankfan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
Why don't hippo tangs photograph in the correct color? I thought maybe it was me (or my camera) but I noticed other people's pics of hippos also show them a washed out blue. Everything else in my tank is the right color so I am confused? Do I need a blue filter to correct for this? Thx for your help?

finksmart

SPS Fanatic
Vendor
Rating - 100%
268   0   0
I had the same problem and after hundreds of shots found the trick is to not use Flash and get custom white balance by placing a white object into the tank water and use that as a reference for white balance on your camera.

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Mine seems OK.

Attachments

• IMG_0167s.jpg
    IMG_0167s.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 120

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bigyankfan said:
Why don't hippo tangs photograph in the correct color? I thought maybe it was me (or my camera) but I noticed other people's pics of hippos also show them a washed out blue. Everything else in my tank is the right color so I am confused? Do I need a blue filter to correct for this? Thx for your help?

Hi bigyankfan ;-)
I took this picture on August the 7th 2006 of my then baby Hippos (Paracanthurus hepatus) when they gathered for sleeping, so there was almost no light other than the one from the last two actinic lights to go out, the blue led moonlight and the flash from the camera, a simple Konica Minolta Dimage 50

Hepatus-Vamos_Dormir_l_l_l_l_l_l_.jpg

Is this the blue you are complaining of?
What camera do you use?
What settings do you set?

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
don't know what camera you have, however if you have under and over exposure ( the + and - symbols) you can adjust the exposure by half or whole stop.

if you did not understand what I said and you are going to the swap sunday, bring the camera and I will help you out.

bigyankfan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
First, thanks to all of the people who responded.

Pedro, that is exactly what I am talking about.
Kenny, I tried with no flash and didn't even have to manually adjust the white balance. BTW, in the top picture you can see the pygmy angel and he is the correct color.
Alex, wouldn't over-exposure cause the colors to be even more washed out? Would underexposure make the blues bluer?

With flash (top) and without (below):

Attachments

• flash.jpg
    flash.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 95
  • no_flash.jpg
    no_flash.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 96

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: