petecomas

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 28g nano reef with a sixline wrasse and two ocellaris clowns. The clowns currently don't get along and spend their time in different parts of the tank. Occasionally one wanders into the other's territory and gets chased out, but most of the time they mind their own business. The wrasse has been a model citizen, ignores both the clowns and the shrimps, and does his own thing. He freely enters the two clowns' terirritories and the clowns don't seem to be bothered by him.

I want to get a canary wrasse but I'm afraid the sixline wrasse will harrass it. Does anyone have experience with both in the same tank? I'm pretty sure the clowns will leave it alone as they leave the sixline alone. They seem to be territorial only with each other. I would hate to add the canary wrasse if it's going to spend its time fighting off the sixline. The sixline seems very mellow right now, but I don't know if he'll suddenly become aggressive with a new tankmate.

Does anyone have experience with the two fish together in the same small reef tank? Does anyone think the sixline wrasse's temperment will change? And will a fourth fish be too much load for a 28g nano?

For reference, the balance of critters in my tank include: a fire shrimp, a peppermint shrimp, 2 brittle stars, a half-dozen hermits, a few dozen snails of various species, a 4" derasa, a 3" crocea, several zoas of different colors, several rics of different colors, several mushrooms of different colors, an acan, a growing mat of GSP, and way too much xenia (anyone want any? lol). The tank has been running for about 10 months.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Placing these two wrasses in a 28 gal tank is suicidal. I commend you though for asking for advice before buying another wrasse.

petecomas

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of sixline? He's done nothing wrong. I won't add another fish if it's going to cause issues, and the replies here suggest it will. But I'm not taking out a fish that's causing absolutely no trouble. If anything I might have to remove one of the clowns down the road if they decide to never get along.

Has anyone had GOOD experiences with a sixline and canary wrasse? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

dj ze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
i don't think you understood very well you can't put (any) wrasse with the six line they are monsters in huge tanks can't imagine in that small of a tank if you were adding them at the same time it would be a different story

isgon26

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
420   0   0
+1. I have a 280 and the sixline harasses the other wrasses. If you want to add other wrasses I would remove the 6 line.

i don't think you understood very well you can't put (any) wrasse with the six line they are monsters in huge tanks can't imagine in that small of a tank if you were adding them at the same time it would be a different story

petecomas

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments. I'll pass on adding another wrasse rather than risk a nasty conflict.

But this thread has opened up another queston: Is it common in this hobby to remove fish from a tank for the sole purpose of adding a different fish (or other livestock)? If the fish is currently a problem, that's one thing. But would people really take out a fish that has made a home in an aquarium just because they want to put in a different fish? That seems cruel to me. But two people have sort of suggestd I do that with the sixline, so is that a common practice? I'm still very much a nube with all this but I'm not taking out livestock unless it's necessary. I'll just live without the canary wrasse, no biggie.

knutez24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
6 lines are just very very territorial. especially in that size of a tank. You might have trouble adding anymore fish not just wrasses. That is why everyone is suggesting you remove the 6 line. I had one for years in a 40B setup and was fine with everything that was added before him...anything after he harrassed.

Lunareclipse

Fishes are cuddly
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If you want other wrasses in your tank, be rid of the 6 line. I had one that harrassed the others. I have a 150g. I was irritated that I would have to remove my lr and catch him when one night he jumped out of the tank commited suicide. Now I have a bluehead wrasse, a canary wrasse, and a yellowhead wrasse all together, no problems. If you like your 6 line wrasse, though, don't add anymore wrasses. They get a bit bitchy about that sort of thing.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
PHP:
Is it common in this hobby to remove fish from a tank for the sole purpose of adding a different fish (or other livestock)? If the fish is currently a problem, that's one thing. But would people really take out a fish that has made a home in an aquarium just because they want to put in a different fish? That seems cruel to me. But two people have sort of suggestd I do that with the sixline, so is that a common practice?
PHP:
That's why the divorce rate is so high. You are free to do what you want as long as you are not breaking the LAW.

Lunareclipse

Fishes are cuddly
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks for the comments. I'll pass on adding another wrasse rather than risk a nasty conflict.

But this thread has opened up another queston: Is it common in this hobby to remove fish from a tank for the sole purpose of adding a different fish (or other livestock)? If the fish is currently a problem, that's one thing. But would people really take out a fish that has made a home in an aquarium just because they want to put in a different fish? That seems cruel to me. But two people have sort of suggestd I do that with the sixline, so is that a common practice? I'm still very much a nube with all this but I'm not taking out livestock unless it's necessary. I'll just live without the canary wrasse, no biggie.
There were 2 suggestions here.
1) get rid of the sixline in order to get other wrasses
2)keep the sixline but don't get anymore wrasses.

If you are quite happy with your fish, by all means keep him and don't get anymore wrasses. If he starts misbehaving, then you better do something about it before he kills your other fish.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: