Bryceandmandy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Ive read that now some places are raising aquacultured ones which are supposed to live longer since they are tank raised and also have some great colors

Ive seen that in elegance corals, although im not sure how a TR gonipora would be any better since every individual polyp needs to be fed regularly. Hopefully they are better so well stop killing wild ones

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Usually the Gonioporas being cultured are an encrusting species (normally pink to red in color) that is easier to care for and maintain in an aquarium. They also don't have the same polyp extension and tend to stay at or under about an inch when fully extended.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I'm a little partial to this salt:

img_1502.jpg

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I like the Seachem salinity it's a great salt, it just never mixed without leaving sludge at the bottom of the container and it took awhile to fully clear too. The corals did great with it though. It's possible the container had something to do with it but the Salinity did leave a lot more at the bottom than any other salt we used.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I hear ya. My mixing vessel is usually (very) brown at the sides :( But my corals appear to love this salt.

I can't remember who or where I read this from but someone said that the longer time it takes to dissolve was engineered in that manner. It's a multi-stage salt, meaning that most of it dissolves quickly, but some components dissolve slower to avoid some unwanted chemical interactions from the whole shabang dissolving.

Could be true or... :scratchch

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
It's really not a complaint since I usually set the salt mixing with a pump hours before or even the night before I do a change but having to clean the container from time to time is a pain. Honestly, if cleaning the bucket every few weeks is the only setback than who cares? It does mix very clear besides the sediment though.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Agreed, as the instant-melt feature isn't my #1 criteria for using a particular salt. As of late, scraping the petrified sludge off the vessel walls every now-and-then is becoming a drag.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i switched from reef crystals to esv for over a year now. the esv mix is always spot on.
i used rc for over 3-4 yrs and every now and then i would have a "bad" batch with the parameters all over the place. i think someone said it was due to different weight salts settling either in the bucket or at the manufacturing plant. i don't know about others but i can't lift a 5 gal. bucket and shake it to mix up the salts. testing all parameters whenever starting a new bucket becomes a chore when you go through a bucket every 4-5 weeks.
also esv mixes clean without leaving the crud in the mixing tank....huge plus for me.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
the only way RC would come out on top is because of cost ive been doing saltwater fish for a long time and thats all i used, this is my first venture into reefs and most people i talk to dont like RC, I tried red sea Coral pro it was ok just got my esv today gonna do a water change next week i had to order a new DI chamber for my RO unit

Some one needs to start a poll to see who would come up on top. But I'm pretty sure it's going to be ReefCrystals.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
the only way RC would come out on top is because of cost... most people i talk to dont like RC

Don't forget about availability. One can pick up RC's from just about anywhere. It's also, largely, a tried-and-true salt mix.

IMO most of the folks that don't use RC, myself included, don't hate it. I think we're looking a little more out the salt, despite the higher cost.

When I run out of Salinity, I might go back to RC.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: