Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Hello i was just wondering im trying to dial in my reef tank and i just finished up my salt looking to get a new one and was wondering should i stay with the same salt or change to a different one, and if i did would there be any real difference i was currently using Coral Pro by red sea and its done need to get another bucket and was wondering if anyone has better success with any certain type over another

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I use ESV salt, and do not dose anything. At one point i switched back to my original salt (IO reef crystals) and wad nothappy at all. ESV all day! The mixing is tough at first, but once you get your own system down, its easy as A-B-C

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I used to use ESV, but then switched to RC since it is easier to get to my home compared to the ESV. Now that TB Aquatics is carrying ESV I will switch back to it once my RC is gone.

Bryceandmandy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Bryce, what made you pick the pro reef over the regular tropic marin?

I use the pro reef over regular simply because of the concentrations of trace elements. When i mix the pro reef in RO at a SG of 1.024 my readings are almost spot on. At the moment my usage coral-wise is relatively low so my dosing to maintain levels is low as well. I really only use seachem marine buffer, b-ionic (soon to be replaced by BW kalk +2 and alkalin 8.3), ions by aquavitro along with aquavitro fuel. The pH and alkalinity are really all i have to raise post mixing, and minimally at that. Im switching from the b-ionic because it lacks Sr and Mg. Aragonite skeletons are stronger than carbonate skeletons so in lieu of supplementing all individually i prefer the comprehensive one.

Bryceandmandy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
cool hope it helps me out with my tanks all my other parameters seem pretty good but my sps dont look to happy hope it helps just lost my gornaporia after 1year :confused:

Gonipora come from nutrient rich waters with high turbidity. Reef aquariums, successful ones at least, are more or less devoid of nutrients along with high enough amounts of food for these animals to be sustained. Its sad but theyre truly not suitable for the hobby. They usually last about 6 months to a year.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Ive read that now some places are raising aquacultured ones which are supposed to live longer since they are tank raised and also have some great colors

Gonipora come from nutrient rich waters with high turbidity. Reef aquariums, successful ones at least, are more or less devoid of nutrients along with high enough amounts of food for these animals to be sustained. Its sad but theyre truly not suitable for the hobby. They usually last about 6 months to a year.

NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since im getting ready to start a build this thread is very interesting to me. Seems the ESV from what ive read is the way to go but i was just wondering if anyone has tried KENT salt as from what i have been reading is comparable to ESV. Just wondering.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: