jnrandall

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hi Guys,

Still learning about my wonderful new hobby! I am at week 2 of my cycle and tested my water last night. I'm not certain how to interpret the results. Any assistance is appreciated. Next steps? Still wait?

Test results:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - .1
Nitrate - 2.5
Alk - Normal range
pH - 8.1
Temp 76.5F
Salinity 1.025- 1.026

Environment:
  • Biocube HQI 29gal
  • 22lbs of cured LR & 30lbs of LS
  • Cycling 14 days, no water changes, just top off with RO/DI (TDS-0ppm)
  • Was running lights for more than 10 hours daily. Saw some brown algae 3 days ago, turned off my lights. Brown algae dying off.
Thanks!

Last edited:

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Hi Guys,

Still learning about my wonderful new hobby! I am at week 2 of my cycle and tested my water last night. I'm not certain how to interpret the results. Any assistance is appreciated. Next steps? Still wait?

Test results:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - .1
Nitrate - 2.5
Alk - Normal range
pH - 8.1
Temp 76.5F

Environment:
  • Biocube HQI 29gal
  • 22lbs of cured LR & 30lbs of LS
  • Cycling 14 days, no water changes, just top off with RO/DI (TDS-0ppm)
  • Was running lights for more than 10 hours daily. Saw some brown algae 3 days ago, turned off my lights. Brown algae dying off.
Thanks!

Everything looks good. Have you checked your salt level?

jnrandall

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm using the Red Sea Max kit. Normal is 1.7-2.8. The coloring of my treated water was about 1/4 way down from the beginning of the Normal Range. I now know that it's suggested that we use Salifert tests but I didn't want to throw this away. It was brand new. Also I ran all of the tests twice and reached the same conclusions in both cases -- as best as my eyes can tell!

alk.jpg

Last edited:

DEL

reef guy in jc
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
For corals you definitely need tostart dosing and checking you calcium and alkalinity daily. Magnesium also plays a role in corals, so you need to test that as well. Start with beginner corals like softies and leathers and zoos.

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
For corals you definitely need tostart dosing and checking you calcium and alkalinity daily. Magnesium also plays a role in corals, so you need to test that as well. Start with beginner corals like softies and leathers and zoos.

+1 if you want you can start dosing off fusion 1 and 2 from seachem. Thats what im using to does off my 55G.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Please don't start dosing ANYTHING at this time. This information is correct if your tank was matured, running, stocked and using Ca, Alk & Mg. Without any coral in your system why would you need to dose those additives?

PM sent

Russ

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Please don't start dosing ANYTHING at this time. This information is correct if your tank was matured, running, stocked and using Ca, Alk & Mg. Without any coral in your system why would you need to dose those additives?

PM sent

Russ
+1 - do read whatever Russ sent you - it is correct :)

Ca (especially) doesn't start getting 'used up' by the tank until there are certain corals, clams or coralline growing actively in the tank, so what is in your salt mix is quite sufficient at this time. Your aim is to keep the tank as stable as possible by allowing the cycle to naturally progress, getting your husbandry methods to become habit...testing on a schedule, water changes on a schedule, understanding what is 'normal' for your tank.

btw - what salt are you using?

Also no reason to toss the Red Sea test kits, get the Salifert kits after you finish these off.

While it is suggested to cycle a tank without the lighting (less nuisance algae growth for now..we will address the algae cycles near the end of the regular cycling part :)), your temp is a little low...around 78 would be a bit better.
Do you recall what it was when you were running your lights?
You are the Feng Shui guy right? :) Did you come up with a plan yet to keep the tank cool?

So far, looking good - hang in there! :fish:

jnrandall

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey! Yep I'm the Feng Shui guy! LOL I have the chiller and the high tank temps are no longer an issue. I made an adjustment after learning my temps were a bit low and now it's holding at around 78.5F.

Although I have a RO/DI filter, I just use it for topping off the tank. With all that I have to learn, I didn't want to add saltwater making to the list. I purchased Nature's Ocean Nutri-SeaWater in 5 gallon containers. When the time comes, I'll also use that for water changes. In time, I will shift that RO/DI filter into high gear, to make saltwater in addition to top off water. I agree with you on the test kit.

When I ran the lights, with no chiller and no fan, it was slightly north of 85F.

Thanks for the response! I am learning patience! :thrash:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Is there an ammonia source in the tank? If there is no source then 0.0 ammonia is usless and the bacter will die off leaving you thinking your cycled when your not.

He started the tank with live rock, but you are correct that he should either have a food source in there like a raw shrimp (not sure if he did this when he first started the tank or not) or be feeding a little flake food every few days so the bacteria continues to be fed.

jnrandall

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I was under the impression that I could cycle withiut the food or shrimp. It may take a bit longer but it would still work? I also figured since i have nitrites present, that it was because ammonia was there first. The rock had some life on it that i assumed died causing the nitrites. Am i wrong in my assumptions? Should i have some shrimp coctail and save one for the tank? :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: