nycitaliano9

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I have had a fish only tank for about 6 months its a 40 gallon,filter fluval 304,power head 70 aqua clear ,20 lbs sand ,35lbs live rock ,power compact lighting 1 96 watt bulb 50/50. I WANT TO GET INTO REEF but dont know were to start i know i need a protein skimmer im getting coral life 125, so what do i use for a filter now the fluvals no good i know. i cant have a sump in my house my dad will kill me seeing another tank under my tank. anything i use must be safe and cant over flow. what would you guys recomend.

Last edited:

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
for a 40g tank you could get a hang on filter, or hang on refugium. You can keep the fluval if you clean it out every month. you'll probably want to up grade ur lights and create some flow in your tank w/ power heads.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
DUde the Fluval is fine if you keep it clean. On my 55 I have an Eheim Ecco 2236 and a Penguin 330 and a prizm Protien skimmer I clean these once a month. Coralife is a good skimmer but before you buy read the skimmer thread. See if anything in there floats your boat better. Alot of people suggest the Aqua C remora for a HOB skimmer here. Upgrade the lighting like DT said and you're in the right area of the ballpark.

Last edited:

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
nycitaliano9 said:
i was thinking of getting the bak pak because its does not take alot of space the coral life sticks out alot

But the Bak Pak is pretty loud.
The AquaC Remora doesn't take up much space as well....
I ran both & the AquaC performs much better..

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8625

Welcome to MR & good luck.

Read, read, read.....then read some more.:lol:

nycitaliano9

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
cool ill check it out thanks guys for your help.other then skimmer what else do i realy need to add to my tank i was thinking of getting the emp 400 with the bio wheels is that good for a filter. i wish i could just get the hob refug but my father looks for things to complain about. the fug has a light and he will complain. what to do guys no sump no refug what do i do.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
welcome to manhattan reefs ,

knowing what you want to keep in the tank will help also,

then we can recommend the right lights and flow.

you can have a great tank without a sump, you'll just have more equipment inside the tank, and hanging off it.

R32Brightliner

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Welcome to MR!
Like Jhale said, what type of corals do you want to keep in your tank and what fish do you have in there now?
With that information we can better help you with your situation...

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
hey italiano its nice to have another italiano on the board... hehe.. im actually sicilianoo..... if you and your father want you guys could come down to staten island you can come check out my setup... its still new pretty much 3 weeks old but i transfered everything from a 6 month old 29 gallon to a 75 gallon with a sump.. He can check out how everything works.. everything is so much easier I think with a sump..

if you guys would like to come check out the tank just let me no. send me a pm.... it will give your dad a chance to see how everything works and to understand it much better...

he wont see the tank underneath if you have doors on the stand... LMAO..

everyone is always welcome

and Welcome to the Manhattan reef family & community.. :grouphug:

Last edited:

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
nycitaliano9 said:
ok guys im buying a bak pak so what am i going to use for filter i have nothing right now i sold my fluval so i need a filter now so i was thinking of using emp 400 is that good .

Did you get the bak pak with the blue stuff in it? If so take it out, I think they call it bio bale.

I had a penguin 330 on my 29 for almost 8 months and no problems ( I know I'm gonna get flamed for that). It is still on my 55 with an Eheim cannister filter still no problems. What size is your tank again?

R32Brightliner

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
If you get the CPR Bak Pak, I suggest you modigy it to use a MaxiJet 1200 on it instead of the cheap-O Rio 600 it comes with. MaxiJet will give you a stronger pull. Besides, the Rio will just end-up blowing up in your tank or causing an electricity leak or something else bad... Just my $0.02.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Chiefmcfuz said:
Did you get the bak pak with the blue stuff in it? If so take it out, I think they call it bio bale.

I had a penguin 330 on my 29 for almost 8 months and no problems ( I know I'm gonna get flamed for that). It is still on my 55 with an Eheim cannister filter still no problems. What size is your tank again?

chief i aint flaming you but y wait for the problems..... get rid of em before they become a unwanted headache:duh:.... lolz:joke: :funnypost :backtotop

lokitosweetlips

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
nitrates

Chiefmcfuz said:
Blue stuff becomes a nitrate factory.
how do i keep nitrates down in my tank i was testing my tank for nitrates wong for so long my nitrates are at 40 i just did a water change today what else can i do.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: