Turbovr3six

HighTideCoral.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I keep all inverts separate from fish and corals for at least 3 weeks. I DO believe that I've gotten red bugs from snails purchased from a hobbiest. If you have the room for a small QT tank I would use it. I use a 3g for snails and hermits and just add a small heater. I change out a cup of water twice a day with my tank water for then entire process. After the time in observation, i'll put them with corals and fish. HTH

Turbovr3six

HighTideCoral.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
For macro I do the same as the Inverts. No meds, just time 'alone'. I figure that most pests that I fear have a certian lifespan when starved for their food. Example; no monti's, nudis will eventually die off.... no acro for red bugs and AEFW, they will starve off. Just my .02

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
OK. in your argument, you don't QT at all - just float & release? i just don't want to be another stat about FW or pest problems. for a noob, it always - "you should of read the stickys or did you do you research" this is why this forum is so great - i get to ask the question noone else has raised & different opinions are given. in my OCD-ness, i want to do this right the first time & not have to go thru the cleansing myself...personally, i'd just like to read about it. :tongue1: thanks, all! :cheekkiss
I understand the concern this hobby can definitely be nerve racking at first. Personally I have never qt'd or did anything with inverts other than acclimate and I never had any pest problems. Corals I freshwater dip and inspect the hell out of. It's also good to get corals from a person rather than a store in my opinion because most stores do not dip or qt they move a lot of stock and don't feel the need to. Although I strongly disagree with this and think it's plain irresponsible on the vendor's part but that's a whole other debate that was already had a few months ago lol. Definitely try to check out the corals wherever they are before you buy them. Usually if they are in a member's tank if there was an issue with any infestation it would be noticeable.

@Awi definitely the best move as far as adding a heater if you have to do it in a bucket. Sometimes I will just get a huge bag or like even a plastic bag from a store or something depending on what it is. Even if you just place it in the sump and let it sit that works too doesn't necessarily have to float. Another lil trick ;)

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I understand the concern this hobby can definitely be nerve racking at first. Personally I have never qt'd or did anything with inverts other than acclimate and I never had any pest problems. Corals I freshwater dip and inspect the hell out of. It's also good to get corals from a person rather than a store in my opinion because most stores do not dip or qt they move a lot of stock and don't feel the need to. Although I strongly disagree with this and think it's plain irresponsible on the vendor's part but that's a whole other debate that was already had a few months ago lol. Definitely try to check out the corals wherever they are before you buy them. Usually if they are in a member's tank if there was an issue with any infestation it would be noticeable.

@Awi definitely the best move as far as adding a heater if you have to do it in a bucket. Sometimes I will just get a huge bag or like even a plastic bag from a store or something depending on what it is. Even if you just place it in the sump and let it sit that works too doesn't necessarily have to float. Another lil trick ;)

I use "Revive" for all corals! No matter where it came from.;)

Trig, I don't like floating open bags in my system. Yup, I'm paranoid!lol I don't want a drop of water out of those bags to get in my tank.;) To riskie.:tongue1:

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I set up a QT tank some time ago. After the cycle, I decided to add some turbos to help keep the tank clean (I had added no coral yet and the rock that was added was dry rock) before I had a chance to add anything else, the tank had flat worms. I was lucky that the tank was my QT tank and not my main system. The flat worms must have came from the snails that I added. I decided to breakdown the tank and start over. I know thats what QT tanks are for and that the flatworms can be treated, I just didnt want to start the tank off on the wrong foot. I now am very paranoid about adding anything to my main tank tank that cant be dipped. :scratchch

Last edited:

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
If you want a pest free tank, then everything should get qt'd. Everything.... Otherwise your taking a chance.

I learned the hard way. I've been into saltwater for 10 yrs, never had issues, then had velvet go thru my tank last month. Killed just about all my fish.

For now on will qt all fish. Corals, no. I'll just dip them well. I'm still taking a chance.

Eventually, it all catches up. We always hear oh my fish have ich, or I have redbugs or flat worms.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
good point buddy glad you listen to me ha ha ha ha :Blurp:
If you want a pest free tank, then everything should get qt'd. Everything.... Otherwise your taking a chance.

I learned the hard way. I've been into saltwater for 10 yrs, never had issues, then had velvet go thru my tank last month. Killed just about all my fish.

For now on will qt all fish. Corals, no. I'll just dip them well. I'm still taking a chance.

Eventually, it all catches up. We always hear oh my fish have ich, or I have redbugs or flat worms.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Turbovr3six

HighTideCoral.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I agree 100%. This is the reason I prefer to buy livestock that has been QT'd for a little more in price. Even then I still quarantine.

Why no QT for coral? Just curious...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: