BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
I have a 110G tall tank and a 40 Gallon. I was wondering what size return pump do I need. Please keep in mind that i have the return pump about 2 ft of head to the chiller then another 3ft from the chiller to the DT. Total head is about 5 ft.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
what would the turnover be with a mag 7 or mag 9?
i currently have a deep blue triton series 850GPH. I dont know if this pump is any good. seems pretty weak, i have a ball valve and didnt even have to dial it down.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
since a 1" drain will drain approx. 600gph are you going to be dialing back the drain?

also you are better going with a gate valve to control flow. just my opinion

according to the chiller site its rated between 500 and 800 gph so if you choose something in that ballpark i would say upper 800's with the head you have you should be good.

Last edited:

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
the drain is actually not at max. Im worried that the deep blue triton return pump isnt powerful enough and i don't have enough filtration in my tank.

Wondering if i should buy an eheim 1262 or mag 9 pump to increase turnover rate

Ariel110G

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Marineland 5500 1,385 GPH

I have a 110G tall as well, I have a megaflow4 sump/refugim the BIG one!!!
I had a Mag 9.5 but I wanted more flow, so I got a Marineland Maxi-Jet 5500 Submersible Utility Pump 1,385 GPH.
I find it to be a lot more quieter, take less electricity, & I?m getting more flow then with the mag 9.5, for my set up I think It was a good move to get a pump with more flow.
( the pump in the pic, Is my small pump for my reactor )

Attachments

• 12082011103[1].jpg
    12082011103[1].jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 69

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
i actually dont believe i got a straight answer. I read from other threads that my turn over should be like 10X so that would mean 1100 gallons need to go thru my sump in an hour? Is that minimum or ideal? If my return pump right now with 5ft of head pressure is only pushing 500 do i just leave it or hurry and change it?

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Please keep in mind that i have the return pump about 2 ft of head to the chiller then another 3ft from the chiller to the DT. Total head is about 5 ft.
Total head is about 5 ft.????
Not an expert, but I would think that the chiller itself, will add at least a 'few' ft. of head pressure!

Also IMO, never 'dial back' the overflows, unless you have add'l 'emergercy' overflows

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
Total head is about 5 ft.????
Not an expert, but I would think that the chiller itself, will add at least a 'few' ft. of head pressure!

Also IMO, never 'dial back' the overflows, unless you have add'l 'emergercy' overflows
thats really true i didnt even think of that. the internals of the chiller must add some head pressure too. so i dont even know what my true GPH is right now. I may have to test it with a stopwatch

Ariel110G

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Ok well it looks like we have the same set up, for me the mag 9.5 I think its 950gph did not work. Yes you can go with x10 for flow but no more then that, and it depens on what on if you have a high bio, from the # of fish you have and the type of fish. So I say get more the 500gph, get 800gph or more

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
Ok well it looks like we have the same set up, for me the mag 9.5 I think its 950gph did not work. Yes you can go with x10 for flow but no more then that, and it depens on what on if you have a high bio, from the # of fish you have and the type of fish. So I say get more the 500gph, get 800gph or more
what do you mean the mag9 did not work?

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Yes you can go with x10 for flow but no more then that, and it depends on what on if you have a high bio, from the # of fish you have and the type of fish.
+1 sort of???? IMO the 10x flow 'rule' is about as useful as the "1 inch of fish per 'x' amount of gallons" rule!

OP has a 110g tank, so 10x would be 1100 gph...thru a 40g sump! how much filtering will really be done?...what if he had a 75g or 100g sump?

Far too many variables in EVERY tank, to try to get that rule to work.
If 5x turnover gets the water filtered for YOU, it's 100% better that 20x turnover that doesn't get the water filtered!

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
imo you can only supply X amount of flow to the tank, what i mean by this is if you have only a 1" drain (600-800 gph depending on all connections and restrictions) it won't handle more than that, now if the chiller requires 500 gph min. you are not going to be able to do a 10x turn over with only 1 drain.
I suggest 3-5 x turn over, which would be 330-550 gph, add the addition of another 500 gph for the chiller and you will have 830-1050 gph. make your self a manifold and t off the manifold to control flow.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: