gnorts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi all ill start out by saying I have a 37 gallon collumn marineland tank. I am running a marineland reefbrite and led par 38 bulb on the tank.. I bought a frag months ago that had this little bit of what look to be hair algae growing on it. I took it all off and figured the rest my tang would clean up. My tang has cleaned up all hair algae from my tank and loves the stuff. Put it in my tank and slowly it began to grow in the area around the frag. The tank will not touch it at all. As it got larger I realized it is not hair algae at all but a different plant looking algae maybe. It kind of looks like long feathers growning off the rock and completely green. Numerous times I have plucked it off the rock clean but always leaving little bit behing and it just re grows. Any Ideas on idetitification and ways to get rid of it. I have tried lowering the amount of light daily still thrives. Any fish that would eat it. I figured my tang should but he does not touch it a bit.. a picture will be coming shortly

thanks for the help

Attachments

• algae.jpg
    algae.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
It is Byropsis and very difficult to get rid of. I am actually dealing with this as well given to me by a frag. that has spread and grow quickly; It has sucked the life out of some of the SPS that it started to grow on. I am actually debating removing all my rock and adding new rock. They say rising Magnesium to high levels can work, which I tried keeping it at 1500 for a month as suggested to have it only grow more.

gnorts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
wow damn this rock has to many corals encrusted on it I cant get rid of it.... That is horrible news so is the only solution getting rid of rock no animal eat it.??

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
Pluck as much of it off as u can maybe after trimming its ur fish might eat what left if not u in for a fight that stuff grow like crazy and ur par don't have to be off for it to thrive gl with getting rid of it

gnorts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I guess im going to have to try the mg anyone that has experience using this please pm me your recommendations. Now that I have it identify I have begun to research it and will be doing the MG ....

Celestin

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
you need to dose Kent Tech-M, it's not the MG that kills it but some by product within the Kent product. You may even find yourself doing water changes to lower the MG so you can add more Tech-M in.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
you need to dose Kent Tech-M, it's not the MG that kills it but some by product within the Kent product. You may even find yourself doing water changes to lower the MG so you can add more Tech-M in.

I'm not understanding this... You are telling him to dose Magnesium, but then you tell him to do water changes to lower Magnesium?!!?!?!??!!
Then tell him to add more magnesium back in???????????????

Am I the only person not understanding the logic on this one?

Xavier613

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 66.7%
4   2   0
If you read the words he stated that it was something else in that specific adative that kills it. Nit the mag itself. So he said That you might want to dose it and after a little, do a water change to bring the levels back down in order to add more of the chemical.

It makes perfect sense and is completely logical.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
take the rock out... put in a bucket with water. pull the bryopsis out in the bucket. do not remove the hairs while in your display tank. rinse the rock afterwards with clean saltwater. put rock back. if there is more... repeat steps.

gnorts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thank you all for comments and yes dosing and doin water changes makes complete sense because like stated from what I read it is an unknown element in Kent m that kills it not the mg

gnorts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Oh I wasn't doubting you just everyone else telling me that they don't eat it. Where can I get one only online? Don't ever see them in lfs

guarda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Two things;

A lot of ppl give advice they have no personal experience with or say it doesn't exist if they've never seen it.

In this hobby nothing is certain. There might be a lettuce nudibranch out there that doesn't like Bryopsis, but that's what they're known to feed on. Yesterday I met a girl who doesn't like diamonds. Crazy.

New World used to carry them but went out of business.

Thatpetplace.com always has them in stock.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: