mhudoba

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have read the threads on the proper Home Depot silicone for our tanks but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on which one is o.k. Most people have said that the GE Door and Window I (NOT GE DOOR AND WINDOW II) is O.K. but I still don't feel good about buying it. Can someone please reassure me? I would rather use aquarium silicone but so far I've only found the 1 and 3 oz tubes at LFSs. Has anyone seen the 10oz tube at a LFS and if so, where?

Falco

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have used GE Window and Door I in the past and have had no issues that I can report. Just make sure you let it fully cure before adding water (24-48 hours depending on how thick you put it).

-Chris

gforce6

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Falco said:
I have used GE Window and Door I in the past and have had no issues that I can report. Just make sure you let it fully cure before adding water (24-48 hours depending on how thick you put it).

-Chris

I second that with Falco, but I have used GE Silicone II for Windows and Door. I guess the curing time is the key.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
zahner said:
the main issue is to make sure you avoid the type that says "mildew resistant" or anything like that. you don't want those chemicals in the tank

Exactly.

Windows and Doors are fine.
Kitchens and Bathrooms are not. They manufacture these to be mildew resistant by infusing mildewcides in it.

Both are considered 100% silicone. So that statement in and of itself will not hold true.

Just get the Windows and Doors and you'll be fine. Same stuff as the aquarium silicone.

Russ

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
i used the ge type 1 silicone... it was used to silicone the cutting board down and it does not and will not have any ill effects on any tank.. as already said let it cure for 24-48 hours.. i let mine cure for 4 days and then ran freshwater and then added my rodi water... goodluck

michaelp

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I can't find the type I anywhere. The type II says it is "mildew resistant" which makes me think its not what I want to use.

HomeDepot and Lowes only carry type II.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
michaelp said:
I can't find the type I anywhere. The type II says it is "mildew resistant" which makes me think its not what I want to use.

HomeDepot and Lowes only carry type II.

Either check other HD's (because that's where I get it, so I know they carry it) or just read the labels. Find one for windows and doors. That will not have any mildewcides.
The silicone for bathrooms and kitchens have mildewcides in them. That's what makes them different. Other than that, they're both silicone.

ms

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
get the gig tubes of GE silicon, like sean said.
I compared the ingredients between the big tube, and the tube marked for aquarium use. they are the exact same thing, except the price. the little tube is way more expensive than the big tube :D

just a note, if you are siliconing anything that requires using the large tubes make sure you open or the windows and doors and turn the fans on. It is going to stink up the house for a couple of days. if you have a garage use that, if you are married you best take the project outside ;)

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
GE type 2 says "not for aquarium use"

Type 1 doesn't. (window and door)

Check mom an pop hardware stores. Most likely they'll have it. I found Black type 1 at a hardware store right of the A train at Jay street. I forget the name of the store.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: