lanacane214

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Removed sand from my 65g 3 months ago.its been sitting outside since then. I am ready to put water in my 57 gallon I set up,what's the best way to clean up sand so I can use again? The sand was in my tank for 7 years,don't really want to buy new sand. Thanks

isnyc300

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Removed sand from my 65g 3 months ago.its been sitting outside since then. I am ready to put water in my 57 gallon I set up,what's the best way to clean up sand so I can use again? The sand was in my tank for 7 years,don't really want to buy new sand. Thanks

put it in a bucket, put a hose in and let it run for a while. then dry it out inside on a garbage bag

Rating - 100%
92   0   0
i would personally say to get new sand, especially since its been outside all that time and you have no clue what kind of stuff could have gotten into it etc plus ive heard of horror stories when using old sand as well because of all the die off and built up toxins in the sand that was released once it was disturbed(dependent on the the depth of the previous sand bed but 7 years is a long time fot toxins to be building up for)

but if you still choose to keep the old sand i would do what isnyc said but add on a final rinse with RO water at the end of that

put it in a bucket, put a hose in and let it run for a while. then dry it out inside on a garbage bag

Rating - 100%
92   0   0
i would say maybe if stored in doors but if it was stored outdoors like said there is a huge risk in it, even rain carries chemicals around here in the city plus animals may have used it for various purposes etc so odds are its contaminated

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Listen, you can in fact clean it but it will take lo9ts of time and energy but it can be done properly. However, if you don't see spending a good many weeks cleaning and rinsing it I would just go buy new dry sand and seed it with some sand from a members established tank.

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
Theres no way to rinse the sand of dead animal and fish poop without losing the sand itself. Im assuming this is fine sand. If its crushed coral or similar that would be different. Also all the po4 that was tied up in the fish poop and carcuses may now be trapped in each sand grain.

3 months after you start your next tank you wont know whats causing you cyano. And you'll always have the sand in doubt in the back of your head. Remove that doubt now and lose the sand.

Go barebottom if your worried about buying more sand.

tenMann2

y is it floating?
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Thanks for advice,I was just been cheap.i bought 80 pounds for 80 bucks no biggy all the work and corals are worth a lot more then that
$80 on sand is not a big deal, when compared to the fact you'll probably spend $80 on a single frag. Now you'll have the peace of mind that your sand isn't causing all the algae or cyano rather something else.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: