Rating - 100%
5   0   0
U have a chiller. Why don't you lower the temp slowly?
1 degree a week.
Right now 78 is above max.

Most people would keep seahorse tanks around 73-74.
Check out seahorse.org

I won't be able to keep it that low consistently... especially once the summer rolls around. I will try going down to 76 as long as my chiller isn't running constantly.

One of the Seahorses seems to be doing ok although the other one is spending a lot of time horizontal and doesn't swim around much.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
That's what gonna happen when you keep them at 78 F...

You should read more before you try to keep seahorses;

http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/SeahorseFactsAndInfo.pdf

I did a lot of research before purchasing and 78 is ok depending on the species you house. Yes a little lower is better to ward off disease but there were no signs of disease on these Seahorses. Actually your link even says 78 is the upper limit for kudas. My tank was running 76-78 depending on which thermometer I use so I do not blame the tank temp for this.

NYC Joe

Seahorses yea!
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I always thought 77 was too high.
I've tried keeping them at 75. I felt even that was high.
The lower temp keeps disease at bay.
I believe the bubbles were gas bubble disease.
Could of been a combination of both.

But possibly could of been a bacteria infection like vibrio. I doesn't harm regular fish. But seahorses are especially suceptible to it at higher temps. I believe that i myself Have lost all mine to that.

The temp may be fine but at that temp bacteria becomes more active. Affecting fish. Also not sure if your temp was swinging up and down but key is to keep is super stable. Especially with seahorses.
Google it. Vibrio- seahorses.

Also check this about has bubble disease.
http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/GBD.shtml

Thanx
-Joe

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: