NYC Joe

Seahorses yea!
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I wouldn't think that it matters.

I would prefer adding pairs though.

But. In the long run. I would add 1 male to 2 females if you want babies.
All females If you dont want to have babies.

I have had all different sizes of horses and they all got along.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I wouldn't think that it matters.

I would prefer adding pairs though.

But. In the long run. I would add 1 male to 2 females if you want babies.
All females If you dont want to have babies.

I have had all different sizes of horses and they all got along.

Thanks! If I was to go the 1 male 2 female route should I add all 3 together or can I buy a pair to start and add a 2nd female later on?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Seahorses arrived yesterday... male/female pair of Kudas from Live Aquaria. I will put up some pics or video soon.

Liveaquaria stated they are eating frozen mysis... I fed twice yesterday and they both seemed to eat. Both of them seem to have slightly indented stomachs from their sides (e.g. not front to back)... is this normal or could it be a sign they are not eating enough?

There's plenty of pods in my tank as well... I'm considering if I should start cultivated pods, or even live mysis.

NYC Joe

Seahorses yea!
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Stomach caving is bad.
I would feed them mysis. Soaked in selco. Get the large mysis.
I found PE mysis to be the best kind.

Also. Try to feed them a few times a day. Morning and midday.

Thanx
-Joe

NYC Joe

Seahorses yea!
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Also. Get a turkey baster to hold food in front of them. They can be stubborn at times. A few big pieces of mysis each is good. Until they decide to swim away.
They can be shy.

Also lots of things to hold on to. Like a gorgonian.

Thanx
-Joe

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Stomach caving is bad.
I would feed them mysis. Soaked in selco. Get the large mysis.
I found PE mysis to be the best kind.

Also. Try to feed them a few times a day. Morning and midday.

Thanx
-Joe

I'm hoping the caving is just due to shipping... they are eating now. I put them in my tank Tuesday and they were swimming around and exploring. Now they've seemed to settle in to a couple spots that they like. At least that's what I hope it is and not that they are getting lethargic.

I removed my powerheads completely, just my sump returns for circulation in the tank right now. I'll add spray bars if I start seeing dead spots.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Here's some pics of the first one... he doesn't look like he's doing great. Was swimming nicely the first day but since then has been mostly hanging in that Purple Gorgonia. Also, look at his tail... can't tell if they are markings, air bubbles or some sort of wound. Any thoughts? He is much more lethargic than the female hopefully he's ok... he has been eating.

pics will be up in a minute.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Here's the male, hopefully he's ok. does anyone know of any LFS in the nassau/queens area that sell Live Mysis??

Attachments

• IMAG0544.jpg
    IMAG0544.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMAG0545.jpg
    IMAG0545.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMAG0536.jpg
    IMAG0536.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMAG0537.jpg
    IMAG0537.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMAG0538.jpg
    IMAG0538.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 105
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
be careful with that heater.
if they hitch on theyll burn themselves.

also, why do you have a heater?
whats the temp of the tank?

should be pretty low.

Tank is at 78... heater does not go on much but my apartment is small and I can't control the heat directly so I need it in case the heat is low or I leave a window open and the temp drops. Same for my chiller... barely runs but a good safety mechanism.

Any thoughts on the photo of the male's tail? Those were the best shots I could get, I'll try again tonight for better ones.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I personally think the tank should be lower. Like 75. Keeps disease at bay.

Let's see those pix.

Thanx
-Joe

Yeah, it would be better but it's hard as my tank runs around 78 just from the return pump and other heat generating devices in the tank.

Pics are above :)

The male that I was concerned about in my posts above seems to be doing better now, swimming around and hitching on different parts of the tank. Maybe I'm just being paranoid since it's my first time with Seahorses.

More pics to follow when my lights are on...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: