fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I always called it the BQE the road from hell. I hate that freakin road. When I moved from LI to florida, I had 26' Penske truck with 5 tanks init, ranging from 10 gal to 125. My buddy was freakin out because off all the bumps and potholes on that road. All the tanks made it because of my excellent packing skills lol

Coral Theory

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I always called it the BQE the road from hell. I hate that freakin road. When I moved from LI to florida, I had 26' Penske truck with 5 tanks init, ranging from 10 gal to 125. My buddy was freakin out because off all the bumps and potholes on that road. All the tanks made it because of my excellent packing skills lol

Sorry for the OT.

Hahah. Its unfortunately true. There are probably a lot more potholes than you remember.

Sub

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Your website is one of the best I've seen.. not sure how I didnt come across it before, or your store in my searches! You have some really nice frags that I'm interested in. I will definitely try and stop down but it is quite out of my way.. How far would you say you are from 495 during rush hour?

Sub

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
[sorry for the multiple replies - wanted to post these pics and it wouldnt let me without five posts!]

On a side note, have any of you guys seen any gorgonian (sea whip) corals at your LFS? I am really into the harder branch type (not finger). Mainly looking for yellow or red.
red-gorgonian_kevin-lee.jpg

images

Sub

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hmm, ok. What is traffic like Sundays? 8am and 5pm rush hour? :) I think I'd be headed down there 10am-12ish.. My plan was to head down that way then cruise over to Manhattan reefs.

How awful will this trip be? Google map w/location of stores: http://g.co/maps/jrj2h :) I'm starting in Port Washington and I guess I can leave any time Sunday. I guess I'd stay 30 minutes at each stop.

I'm trying to narrow down my stores.. I think I've settled on these unless you guys say otherwise. My main goal is to get small interesting coral frags.. dont need fish or large corals.

In order from Port Washington:
Coral Theory
Manhattan Aquarium
Blue Star Aquarium (might skip this one.. Anyone been there lately?! decent selection?!)

Thanks for your help.. we country folk dont know cities! :)

Last edited:

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
There is traffic at 4 am in the city.

Seriously 30 minutes at each store is cutting your experience short. I went to petco yesterday for a container of water and spent 45 minutes there. My suggestion is take it as it comes and enjoy your stay.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Thank you TRANA

Well Believe it or not I work in a Local Pet Shop in the City (Please hold all the harsh comments
) I suggest to people all the time if there is something about reef keeping that I can't inform them about to check out this site. I was thinking about making some kind of flyers of some sort to hand out to people that stop by my job. The site is really good already, but as times goes on more people will come to the site and things will only get better. Keep up the good work!

I agree. 30 mins is def not enough time. I would rank the stores and go to the ones you want first and then play by ear. I have also gone to a store with no plans to buy livestock and spent an hour looking around. When I went in to get an algae scrubber

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Isn't there a Fish Town in Queens? Im pretty sure thats the one hes talking about considering he lumped it in with Kissena aquariums
I helped start Fish Towns Salt Water tanks in the early 70s.
I will probably be there in Sunday although I don't go there much anymore. There are much better places. My boat is in Port Washington so I am also there all the time, unfortunately there are no aquarium stores there

Sub

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I decided to skip fish town because of the bad reviews, even though its sort of on the way down.. It looks like I'm going to hit these two only. The others petered out for various reasons..

Coral Theory - because they website is awesome and looks like good prices/nice coral
Manhattan Aquarium - because everyone says I should and it looks huge

Am I missing a seriously good store en route?! I'm mainly looking for inexpensive, small coral frags (not fish or larger corals). What is Kissena like these days?!

I'll try and plan for more than 30 minutes. :)

Last edited:

fjpod

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be forewarned at Coral Theory. They do not have a storefront...just a garage door and a green door . Knock if it looks closed up. I would call before you go. Parking is spotty. It might take you a half hour to park....but it is still worth the trip.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Just be forewarned at Coral Theory. They do not have a storefront...just a garage door and a green door . Knock if it looks closed up. I would call before you go. Parking is spotty. It might take you a half hour to park....but it is still worth the trip.

I just left Coral Theory and there was not only A TON OF PARKING, but there was also a TON of great deals!!

Don't miss this place! Def Diamond in the rough when you look at that unmarked building! Kinda looks like a place that you need a special knock to get in!

Luckily they let "me" in!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: