E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I've heard of the above causing problems in reef tanks before.

TDS can be quite bad in well-water situations also.... I've seen people posting about 1200+ TDS from their well-water source. Talk about going through filters quickly.

fjpod

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NYC does add some phosphates to negate the effects of old lead water mains. Of course there is also chlorine and fluoride.

If I only had a 29 gallon tank, and I did 3-5 gallons per week wc, and i lived in nyc, (which I do), I would get a simple Aquarium Tap Water Filter by API (which i have). It will last a long time, it's plug and play, and should reduce your TDS to 1 ppm.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
If you want to see what is in your water simply unscrew the piece at the end of the faucet, put in a wad of cotton (from a cotton ball), screw it back and use it for a day or two (if it doesn't clog up before then) and then you will see what you drink. And that is besides what can't be seen by the eye.
I have a under the counter filter for drinking water that is filtered by a solid carbon block and I use that to supply my tank. I am sure it is not as good as RO but it works for me.

JarviZ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
NYC does add some phosphates to negate the effects of old lead water mains. Of course there is also chlorine and fluoride.

If I only had a 29 gallon tank, and I did 3-5 gallons per week wc, and i lived in nyc, (which I do), I would get a simple Aquarium Tap Water Filter by API (which i have). It will last a long time, it's plug and play, and should reduce your TDS to 1 ppm.

What's this API tap water filter? I don't see much info about it on the website? is it like a RO/DI unit? What's the rate of the good water that comes out?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: