JarviZ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Another tap water question. I was just reading random articles and forums about using tap water. Obviously most people use RO/DI water and swear by it.

But then I also read about people who have been using Tap water with no issues and even said their tank improved after switching from RO/DI.

So naturally I came here. I think NYC is supposed to have some of the cleanest tap water around and was wondering if there are any success stories here?

I check my tap water every once in a while just for fun and I usually get ~30-40ppm.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
NYC Tap water is very low in TDS, but very heavily sedimented-rust, mud, who knows what-- and of course it is treated with chlorine. Something they also do that many folks don't know about is use a phosphate additive in the water supply that helps counteract the lead in the old pipes. Some people have success, but most don't and it isn't a good idea.

bizzarro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience, using RO/DI didn't help but again, it all depends on how your tank is set up which determines your success and what you want to keep.

Even with a oversized skimmer rated 3x bigger than a 29 gallon tank and using RO water I still had tons of hair algae because of the crushed coral substrate. I used a lot of hang on equipment but the next tank upgrade, I will be using a sump.

Removing the substrate reduced all that now and I stopped using the skimmer and replaced it with a CPR hang on tank fuge with macros as the only filter besides the LR in the tank. It's bare bottom tank.

The water quality is much better and I only use the 3 stage filter for water instead of the RO/DI, the tap is 300~ reduced to 150~ and that's what I use.

I don't have anything demanding just softies and mushrooms. I have 2 clowns, 1 bar goby, a small damsel and 2 tank raised bangaii cardinals.

Last edited:

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
This hobby is full of.......ifs.

If it worked for someone else, then it should work for me!!

Great......but there are way to many variables that can cause their setup to work and yours to fail.

Go by VAST Majority then by the exception to the rules and you'll find the experience is going to run in your favor.

I read 165 TDS after sediment and carbon filters and after RO membrane and DI resin - 0. Big difference.

I used a ro/di unit in the past that read at 0.04TDS for a few months and that worked out well too. I always run carbon/GFO + macros so I think that helped keep it in check.

Only success I have ever seen with TAP Water is from someone who's tank was up more than 5+ years. So my only suggestion is let your tank mature properly before you experiment with something that has VERY LOW success rate.

rambler67

Addicted to MR
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
It all depends on what actually in the water just about all tap water has chlorine and phosphates in it and who knows what else that can be bad that we dont even test for. before i got my rodi filter i test the tap water after i mixed it the nitrates where 10 ppm and the ant the phosphates where really high i forget what they were.
But on the other hand i had a friend that used strait tap water with no problems. so it all deepens on whats in the water.

NYC Joe

Seahorses yea!
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I'm in manhattan which has pretty clean water.
The picture attached is when I was cleaning my rodi out.
This is 6 months.
Ewwwww.

If this doesn't tell you you shouldn't use tap. Then I don't know what will

0776b926.jpg

Thanx
-Joe

isnyc300

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
i have used tap water for about 4 years and my tank looks good. i recently switched over to rodi on my new 75g setup and had brand new filters in the rodi unit. after 2 days of filling my tank the sediment filter was completely covered in dark brown stuff. changed my whole perspective lol

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
i don't use ro/di for drinking water, but I am starting to think that the water my fish crap in, is much cleaner then the one I drink and cook with. Got find out how much it would cost to turn my spectrapure unit, into a unit that makes drinking water.
RO is fine, but I'm told that you do not want to drink DI water

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
ro/di water won't kill you, but because it's soo pure, in the long run it would make you body sick because the lack of minerals..or something along that line...
Sorry, didn't mean to scare you...it won't kill you...but...I think I read that the PH (?) would be bad for your teeth.

not sure of additional problems

Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
Your body can't absorb the DI water the same as regular water. It has something to do with the ions in pure H2o

+1
The DI part is not good but just a RO unit water filter is okay. You still have to be careful since your body is use to ALL the stuff in drinking water whether good or bad.
The lack of fluoride, and other stuff that the ro/ unit takes out,will also make you fill sick..... At least that's what I've read ;-)

I had a 55g running for about 6 months on tap water. It started growning a neon green algae that I couldn't even scrub off lol, it looked like glowing (crypto nite)

I'm Nemo's mother.

LavaToad

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I'm a new member but long time lurker on the forum. Seeing this topic finally made me want to make my first post. I have been running my 24g JBJ cube since 2007 on tap water from the Bronx and havent had any issues besides the initial algae bloom, although it could be that the forest of xenia are absorbing the phosphates. I do plan on getting a RO/DI unit eventually but my kitchen needs to be remodeled badly and I'm afraid to touch any of the pipes. I'll try to post a picture and see if it works ^_^ Anyone know a good inexpensive unit?

Attachments

• full tank shot.jpg
    full tank shot.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 144
  • blue spotted puffer.JPG
    blue spotted puffer.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 145

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
LavaToad, first.. Excellent screen name and avatar.. :lol2: ....Second, I love that pic w/ the xenia and puffer combination.

As to the OP's question.. I use RO/DI water, and have for years now. I used tap when I first started (about 5-6 years ago) and almost completely got out of the hobby when my tank turned to complete neon green-pea soup. I could not get rid of it for the life of me.

The TDS of my source water is usually about 400..

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I used NYC water for the first 10 years with my reef with no problems. NYC has the best water in the nation due to the 150 year old cobblestone 27 mile long tunnels which are 900 feet below the Bronx. Now they are supplimented with the new tunnel which is cement. I am not sure how much of that new cement is disolving in that water but it will take many years for the cement tunnels to have the same purity as the old coblestone tunnels.
That being said I moved to Long Island where we have well water which is not very good and loaded with chemicals. It causes algae blooms and twice killed almost all of my animals due to the zinc orthophosphate they add to control corrosion in the pipes.
I think you will be OK with city water.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: