miserkris

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Planning to mix kalk one tsp per gal ro water. In this ratio will there be a residue or precipitate at bottom of my 20L?

I will mix it up with a mj. Also how long would it take to fully dissolve kalk in 20g water?

My topoff reservoir is a 20g.

Thanks

miserkris

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ok thanks.I will do so.

My topoff is on a timer and 2 float switches.....using aqua lifter pump for top off that comes on twice aday.

Since kalk water can clog airline, aqua lifter pumps...when idose kalk in topoff I m planning to use a submersible pump like a mj1200, and 1/2" tubing as top off line.
This is more easy to maintain /clean imo. Am I right?
Thanks..

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
What I did for mine was that I did it by gravity and had it siphon to a float valve in my sump. The line was inside a 5gal jug not at the very bottom but just above the crap(kalk), and till this day I never had a problem with it. I had the 5 gal jug setup a little higher than my sump so it feed the water.

Hope that helps,

James

and I agree with strgzr and chemcheff as well if you are doing it that way

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I use an aqualifter and a 5 gal bucket. its nice and slow I have never clogged but I do change the 1/4 air line tube every 6 months, when I cant see through it anymore it makes me worry.

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I have 110 gallons with 65 gallons of display. I mix 1-2 tbs per gallon in my top off depending on the season and drip brightwell alk 8.3 to keep my dkh and ph stable. mixed reef including 4 clams a large anemone and alot of sps.

miserkris

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would say it would be easier to clean. Just make sure you keep that pump a couple of inches off the floor so it dosen't suck any of that crap up

Thx all!

I notice a floating crust while mixing kalk....it eventually breaks and sinks down. Is this crust same as the "gunk"....you all mention , the gunk that collects in the bottom few inches of the mixing drum?

Pls share ur answer....thanks:D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: