Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I picked up 2 Mandarins from Wingo so pods have been on my mine lately. It seems to me that mechanical filtration would trap your pod population, is this true? Does everyone run mechanical filtration? Any problems if you don't?

I took all of mine out tonight with the hopes that it will help my pod population... I could see some of the larger pods trapped in the filter pads so I shook them off into my sump.

I also removed my carbon... I've heard some people say they don't use it at all while others cycle it or use it all the time. What are the pros/cons of each?

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I always run carbon and it never hurt my pod population in my last tank.

If you don't run it, there won't be anything taking the nutrients that yellow you're water and you will probably notice that you're water will not be as clear after a while.

I'd say to keep all your filtration up and going. If it's an established tank and you had a good pod population you'd be fine.

savage

Reef for life. .
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
mechanical filtration what that???Lol..
That the reason I don't use them they tend to trap all your beneficial little critters ..

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
If you have a true fuge then no mechanical/chemical or any other filtration would do a thing to your pod population since it is seperate with a trickle almost of flow then back to your tank directly. If you just got mandarins I would think about adding one if you dont' have a fuge at all.

Also if your running an in sump fuge if it is after the filter socks and before your return then the pods are still making it to feed the tank.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you have a true fuge then no mechanical/chemical or any other filtration would do a thing to your pod population since it is seperate with a trickle almost of flow then back to your tank directly. If you just got mandarins I would think about adding one if you dont' have a fuge at all.

Also if your running an in sump fuge if it is after the filter socks and before your return then the pods are still making it to feed the tank.

Yeah I have a fuge in the sump. I was thinking the same thing of only having the filter pads on the return from the display tank. It would still trap some that make there way back down to the sump but I think it's a good middle ground.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I don't use any mechanical filtration, but I do use carbon. The filter will prevent any zooplankton, phytoplankton and anything else floating in the water from passing. If it is setup in a liner fashion, and not in parallel, live food will not pass.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
It depends on what filter pad you are using and what you want to do with the pods. The size of pods varies by age and species, so is the filter pad.

If you want live food to enter the DT while still using mechanical filters, you can
1) increase the filter pore size say from 70 micron to 100 micron. How about 150 microns? The bigger the pore size, the less immediate filtering effect visible to the filtering ability but the pad will not clogged for extended time. With this bigger pore size, baby pods and baby roti can easily pass them unless they want to hang on the filter's dirt. That's the same way how ICH can infect your whole system-they are small enough to pass the filter pad.

2)Choose smaller pods and roti. The Aglagen website give you a good understanding about the pods sizes. Choose the right size of the pods/roti, and you can have them continuously thriving in the system. Some species are well under 50 micron thus they will pass thru most filter bag reefer uses.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: