masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
The new rear tank mounted overflows eliminate the loss of real estate. I've seen some absolutely gorgeous internal overflows covered with beautiful displays of encrusting monti's. I see no reason whatsoever to ever elect to set up a new display tank with an external u-tube overflow.

swimmer

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
masterswimmer said:
The holes should be on any tube that can create a siphon, return and/or overflow.

If you haven't purchased a tank yet, do yourself a major favor, DON'T EVEN LOOK AT NON REEF READY TANKS. There is no reason whatsoever to even consider a non RR tank. If you have one already then you need to take the necessary precautions to prevent flooding and siphon breaks.

Be sure to purchase a sump large enough to handle any backflow from your main tank in a power outage. Many times standing in front of a running system and talking to the owner about it will help it all make sense. We have numerous members who would be willing to give a demonstration to you, I am one of them. Only thing is, I live a bit out of the area. If you'd like to check it out, LMK and we can work something out.

swimmer

As I mentioned before, I do plan on going RR since i dont want to deal with overflow boxes on the outside ( Im well aware of the potential for disaster ) and I dont want to do any drilling. I'd love to look at other tanks, though I haven't managed to hook up with any other reefers yet. I just found this site ( its great ) and would like to join a club in the area. I'd love to see your tank some time ( I live in Brooklyn, where are you ? ) and I will be spending some time at the CI aquarium volunteering this summer before work, so I hope to learn something while I'm there.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
tomzpc said:

I'm not a big fan of "reef ready" tanks because that huge top to bottom overflow takes up way too much real estate in the tank. Myself, and several others that I know, just have a pair of holes drilled near the top of the tank (one on each side in the back) with a 90 PVC and a strainer on top. You get good overflow/surface skimming without haing a huge box inside the tank. Most LFS seem to run their setups this way.

I've done some reading on Melev's site and another one i found (on the cichlid-forum site ), so I'm starting to get more familiar. I see what you mean about the overflow boxes, and I think I'll consider your suggestion. This wont happen for at least a few months ( I'll be moving ), but I want to learn as much as possible, and hopefully see some setups, before i make any purchases.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
So I'm starting to understand the basics, little by little. But how do I decide on a pump, skimmer, and sump size that are appropriate. How do I know how much flow I'm getting, and how many returns I need? How do I make sure everything stays in place. I understand about using silicone or annealer on pvc, but how do you keep the whole plumbing network from moving about?

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
What are the pros and cons of having an internal pump in the sump versus an external pump? Besides the heat from the internal.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
jejton said:
So the only considerations are heat vs. leakage?
and space. if your sump is packed and you got plenty of room outside it, do it external, if your cabinet is packed but got room in your sump, go internal.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
How do I decide on the proper size pump? I'm not asking for brand recommendations - I'll research that on the threads when I get to that point. Also, is the sump size dictated only by how much room I have under the tank?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: