jnrandall

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ok, so I joined this forum last year when I got my Biocube. It was my first saltwater tank experience. I still love it but I want a bigger tank! I am shopping around and reading all I can about RR tanks. There are glass and acrylic tanks. Cubes and rectangular tanks. Center and corner overflows. Etc, etc, etc. Oh yeah, plain glass or starfire (low iron) glass, just in front or on the sides too. Oh yeah, clear back, black or blue backs. Rimless or rimmed? Clear silicon or black? OMG!!! I am going nuts.

:smash:

Some tanks can be shipped for $100's of dollars while others are only local pickups. I don't mind buying a used tank but it'll have to be in near perfect condition. I just missed a couple of tank/stand opportunities in the Marketplace because I didn't move fast enough.

I want either a 60 gallon cube (24x24x24) or a 60-75 gallon tank with approximate measurements of 48x18x20 - 48x24x16, with a stand. Is this so much to ask? I just need to add a sump and skimmer and I am set. Maybe another AI Sol fixture and MP10 too. But that's iT! :biggrin:

So where are you guys finding your tanks? I don't seem to be having that much luck online. A lot of informative manufacturers but not many sellers online. Should I be checking LFS?

Thanks for allowing me to rant!

J.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
find something in your price range and make it work for you...no sense in going crazy over the details. enjoy your build

in my experience, go as big as you can for your space...always want more along the way

so if 48" is your bench mark for length id say go for a 120 or 150. thats just my opinion though

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Budget is a big issue. Good looking tank usually cost more. I personally like the newer tanks with black silicone and low iron. I don't think finding tanks online is hard because there are couple vendors in our forum selling tanks.

If you need to check the tank locally you can either try MA or Pacific in the City

I myself is debating between cube of frag*(12" height shallow tank) lately. I some how started feel like looking at my stuff from the top.

Hecdr34

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
252   0   0
I got mine from Aquarium Village for $309. It's 48x24x12 reef ready 60 gallons by DeepBlue.

4a663597-0f4d-876a.jpg
4a663597-0e91-864a.jpg
4a663597-0ea9-1af5.jpg
4a663597-0eb6-907c.jpg

jnrandall

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hecdr34 - That tank is hot! I didn't know about Aquarium Village. I am always hanging out on the island. Thats an easy stop. Hell, I probably passed it when I went to Nathan's in Westbury last Saturday on Old Country Road. I haven't asked the LFS about a tanks yet because online pricing was always lower than in store pricing. I almost live in Manhattan Aquariums and Petswarehouse in Copaigue, LI.

thirty6 - I just don't know if 120-150 is too much tank for me. I'm still a noob. :) I like the cube footprint. I am also realizing that I like the footprint of the sub 100gal tanks as well. I have a budget, but that's hasn't been the problem. I've been looking at Deep Blue Professional tanks, Oceanic Illumanata tanks, Glasscages.com, TruvuAquariums and some others I can't recall right now. Been reading good and bad opinions about all. My next move is to visit some LFS and see what's what. I must have a nice looking stand as well.

Aqua Pro B - I will check out MA and Pacific as well. I'm in the East Village so their pretty close as well. This is why I love this forum!

Thanks guys!

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
In my opinion your best bet is to contact vendors on here. They'll usually get you a great deal on anything you need and will take the time to give you any needed advice and will take the time to answer your questions unlike the dopey kids that work in 90% of the LFS.

www.saltwatercritters.com - Russ(masterswimmer) or

www.nyaquariumvillage.com - Rich

Either one or both of them would be great starting points to get what you're looking for- I've dealt with both a lot awesome people...

Good luck.

Ask Rich about his reverse, dual inlay, limited edition silicon beads he uses on his tanks. The newest fad!

Just kidding about the silicon, but the rest is true.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
It really depends on your taste and budget. All the tank options, like starfire and silicone color, rimless/non rimless all depend on the look your looking for.

Probably the best thing to do is go to a well stocked aquarium store and look at the tanks they have on display. That way you can get a feel for the tank you want to place in your house. Find a place that would have tanks displayed from a few different manufacturers.

For me, I prefer starfire glass tanks over acrylic just because acrylic needs that white glove touch to keep scratch free. I also love the black silicone rimless look with a nice simple modern stand. Black background makes the coral and rockwork pop out better, blue creates a feeling that the tank is larger than it is when looking at things inside. Between corner overflow or center overflow, it all depends on where you want to lose space in your tank as the overflows do take up a good chunk of tank realty.

For a 60g with a nice look any of the oceanics would do in the size you want. They should have RR rimmed and rimless tanks available. Also elos has a ton of really nice ones but they will hurt the wallet. Grab a vendor and ask them to give you recommendations. Russ from Saltwatercritters is great for oceanics.

IMO, Elos or Oceanic are the two you want to start off with before moving to another company or going complete custom built like glasscages, miracles or any of the other custom guys.

Last edited:

jnrandall

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Will do. I know I'll be doing video as well. I currently have 40+ Youtube videos on my Biocube build. Most of the toys I am using for that tank will be used on the new tank. Man I can't wait!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: