Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
$hit I was just going to turn off my computer but I'll answer it quickly hopefully someone else will be able to take over

a heat exchanger is a type of chiller it uses a titanium probe to pull the heat from the water similar to what's found on your motherboard keeping your processor cool.
a freon based chiller uses freon to cool your water similar to your refrigerator.

A heat exchanger is influenced by the room temperature. So if the room temperature is 90 and the heat exchange can bring it down 10 degrees the temperature of the tank can only be brought down to 80. A freon chiller can bring it down to 78 or lower because it's not influenced by the room temperature.

Some questions
How hot does it get in your place? How many degrees can the chiller pull the temperature down? Where is the chiller being placed? How many GPH is going through the chiller? Where is the water coming from and returning to?

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Charlie Yes a chiller chills the water but I fell you need to research this further. There is a difference between heat exchange and freon chillers.

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
LeslieS said:
Usually mid 80's. At that point ac comes on. If it's a big heat wave, we leave it on during the day for the cats.

I keep reading about how important temp consistency is. Is that true?

If this is the case the JBJ should work fine for you. make sure it's well ventilated

PalmTree

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I personally use a JBJ Commercial 1/2 HP chiller on my 180 and I think it works great. It is def louder than the Artica version because it uses a much larger fan and the unit is much beefier. It keeps my water temp bet 78 and 79. If you have a smaller set up I think the Artica wold be fine. The thing is dead quite and you won't even know it is on.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: