LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have a 1/4 HP chiller on order, but my receipt doesn't say what kind. What kind would you guys reccommend?

Leslie
120g rm div tall
30 gal sump

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
marrone said:
Before I would get a chiller I would make sure that one is actually going to need one. Depending on your apartment and setup it maybe better to just run the A/C.

Absolutely. Besides, trying alternate cooling methods works too. I can cool my tank by 4-5 degrees just by running a fan directed across the top of the tank and another fan directed at my sump/fuge. Evaporative cooling works wonders in terms of efficiency and reduced electric bills (as opposed to a chiller).

swimmer

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
like russ said fans are great for cooling the tank down a few degrees

also don't buy something as expensive and important as a chiller without getting the brand and model number first. :D

what type did they recommend drop in or flow through?

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
A chiller is a very good idea. Keeps the tank consistent as long as it is controlled properly.

make sure the chiller is ventilated and plumbed properly otherwise it could become useless or work a lot harder then it has to.

Find out if it uses freon and brand name.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
OK, LFS is going to get caller ID just to avoid my calls. :eek:

My chiller on order is a JBJ 1/4HP with digital control panel.

Our apartment is very sunny and gets pretty heated up in the summer. With all of our 4 legged, furry "live stock," we like to keep the windows open as much as possible.

:cat:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
with the windows open in a NY summer and a 120 I would get a 1/3 hp chiller minimum. Do you have any idea the temps hit inside your apt in the summer? You will need to figure the chiller pull down strength based on that.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Usually mid 80's. At that point ac comes on. If it's a big heat wave, we leave it on during the day for the cats.

I keep reading about how important temp consistency is. Is that true?

PalmTree

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I've done both (fans and chiller) I'd have to say that it really depends on your enviornment. When I was at my old place I had the AC on all the time in the summer and all i used were 2 fans across the top of the tank. It worked great. After I moved I was not able to keep the AC on whenever i wanted so I bought a chiller. The chiller works great too so I guess it depends on you. Hope this round about answer helps! :wink1:

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
taken from link swimmer left in post 17
"Artica Chiller built in temperature controller with digital display, titanium heat exchanger"

not a freon based chiller but a heat exchanger big difference.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: