JMar101786

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Sorry to hear about the losses. Hopefully you'll get it figured out what caused it and let us know. It may help one of us as well down the line. Also if you want I got some corals I'll frag out and hook you up to help restock your tank when the time comes.

I'll definitely keep the post updated should i figure anything out

Thanks for the offer to help restock...I may take you up on that as i'm one of those hobbyist that don't have a bottomless pocket unfortunately

I will be posting a list soon of the expired pieces.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I'll definitely keep the post updated should i figure anything out

Thanks for the offer to help restock...I may take you up on that as i'm one of those hobbyist that don't have a bottomless pocket unfortunately

I will be posting a list soon of the expired pieces.

Sure thing just let me know. i have some duncans I can cut you a few heads of some black sun coral if you like that also and som acans

JMar101786

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Wow, hope you find out what happened. If you're ever in the city shoot me a pm and I'll cut some zoas for you.

Thanks...I hope so too...i dont know whats more frustrating...the loss of pieces as some of these ive had for quite some time and have grown attached to...OR the not knowing why this has happened

.i'll actually be in and out of the city a few times in august and september..i'll defintely message you

Lostinthedark

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You said your RO/DI filters were shot. I know here in NJ a few water companies have changed over to chloromine in stead of chlorine . Its supposedly 10times more toxic to live stock. Any possibility they changed over? I actually received
a warning letter from my water company about the change and the drastic effect it would have on fish.

JMar101786

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
You said your RO/DI filters were shot. I know here in NJ a few water companies have changed over to chloromine in stead of chlorine . Its supposedly 10times more toxic to live stock. Any possibility they changed over? I actually received
a warning letter from my water company about the change and the drastic effect it would have on fish.

I'm not sure if this is the case, i'm going to call the water company as soon as I go on lunch....i know th RO tested 0 across the board with the exception of phosphate...i tested again after i put the new cartridges in and purged the system and everything was 0 across the board

guarda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Great, I'll have some set aside on my frag rack for you by then.

I had a similar event, but on a much smaller scale, happen to me 2 months ago. It started with my gbta touching my hydnophora, which promptly started to melt. Didn't take it out, thinking it might recover. It slowly turned white and brown. When it was totally white I took it out. That same day my wellso on the other side of my tank, 2 feet away, started turning brown, and then my platygyra. Trashed both right away and did a 40% water change. Luckily I didn't lose anything else. Sometimes we think we know what happens but with all the permutations of differing bacteria and organisms in our tanks, a lot of times we can only guess.

Thanks...I hope so too...i dont know whats more frustrating...the loss of pieces as some of these ive had for quite some time and have grown attached to...OR the not knowing why this has happened

.i'll actually be in and out of the city a few times in august and september..i'll defintely message you

Lostinthedark

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I called AWI to make sure my RO/DI (Typhoon III extreme) could handle it. They assured me it would but mentioned in passing that some of their lower end systems wouldn't.

JMar101786

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I called AWI to make sure my RO/DI (Typhoon III extreme) could handle it. They assured me it would but mentioned in passing that some of their lower end systems wouldn't.

Couldn't wait so I snuck in a call .... Suffolk Water Authority states that although it's been in talks to make the switch they haven't yet and are approx 1 year out before they make a move

Lostinthedark

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sorry. I was hoping to find a cause. With the meltdown so soon after the water change I would guess some sort of contamination. Its hard to believe anything other than that would cause a total meltdown so quickly especially since all your parameters check out.
Good luck with finding the culprit. I'm sure a lot of the local guys will help you start up again.

JMar101786

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Sorry. I was hoping to find a cause. With the meltdown so soon after the water change I would guess some sort of contamination. Its hard to believe anything other than that would cause a total meltdown so quickly especially since all your parameters check out.
Good luck with finding the culprit. I'm sure a lot of the local guys will help you start up again.

Thanks for your input...I wish it was the answer too :/....hopefully I'll figure it out...I understand that sometimes in this hobby we don't get answers for the mishaps...I just hope this isn't one of those times.

there have been quite a few offers to help restock and I appreciate them all...its heartwarming to feel the sense of comradery from everyone

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Just a shot in the dark here. But is it possible anything spawned. I recently read on reef central where someone had a bunch of snails I believe that spawned and messed up there system. I also read on melevs site where his clams spawned and fouled the water.

JMar101786

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Just a shot in the dark here. But is it possible anything spawned. I recently read on reef central where someone had a bunch of snails I believe that spawned and messed up there system. I also read on melevs site where his clams spawned and fouled the water.

No clam to spawn....no snails...I do hermits and starfish....and I've never witnessed a spawning event in any of my takes and I am up all hours of the night and always like to look to see what's showing on the nocturnal channel of my tank lol...I mean its possible...but I think I would of noticed

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: