JMar101786

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
To be honest I really don't know where to start nor do I know where to postthis. I guess the best place to put it is in the "Reef for Beginners"section as after this issue I feel like a beginner all over again.

I have been in this hobby for over 10 years now and I am one of thosereefers that prides themselves on saying that they learn something new everyday. Today however I haven't learned anything new as I can't explain the reasonwhy things have happened to my tank.

A little about my tank - 125 Gal DT, (2) 400 Watt Metal Halides on an 8 hourcycle, 40 gal long sump with approx. 30 gallons of water in it when running,GSM G4+ Skimmer, 200lbs of rock, shallow sand bed, Temp at a steady 77 degrees.

I guess I will start from Wednesday 7/11... I came home and did a waterchange (30 Gal change...once a week - some may disagree with this practice butit?s been my staple move from the beginning of the hobby 10 yearsago)...everything looked great afterwards as well as on Thursday andFriday....Saturday morning I wake up to go in my tank room and smell an oddodor....I go to look at my tank and find that many of my SPS pieces diedovernight (approx. 8 pieces)....they were not fully melted away but enough tosay that there was no chance of survival for these pieces...I pulled the piecesout of the water and proceed to test the water...my results were as follows:

Temp 77
Salt 24
Alk 8
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Phosphate .5
Calc 420
Mag 1350

At this point I scratched my head...thought maybe it was chemical warfareand changed the filter pad and upped my skimmer flow so that I would pull outsome more skimmate in hopes that any of the death in the water wouldn't hurtanything else.

Last night was a restless night for me as I was pretty bummed out from themishap in my tank and I found myself checking my tank at about 3 AM to find mytank looked like a giant snow globe with these small "pellets"flurrying about.

At this point I took an old net and ripped the net off wrapping the frame incheese cloth frantically trying to scoop of any of the free floating pieces notknowing what they were... after further inspection I realized it was my lobomelting apart and the pieces that were floating about were pieces of the lobo. Atthis point I removed the piece and let bye gones be bye gones.

This morning I woke up to find even more dead/dying/melting away...this timenot just SPS...but LPS as well...it ranged from chalices and acans tofrogspawns and candy canes/trumpets....nothing seemed safe. To put it simply Ifreaked out...head spinning and not knowing what to do...I tested my wateragain and got the following results:

Temp 78
Salt 24
Alk 7
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Phosphate 1
Calc 420
Mag 1350

I thought maybe my test kit was off so I brought it to a LFS to have afriend test the water and all the results matched with mine. In addition to thesample from my tank I also brought a sample of my RO water...which testedphosphates at 1. At this point I bought carbon and new RODI cartridges as minewere exhausted.

I came home and did a 40 gal water change with new clean water, since then Ihave lost a significant amount of corals... some of which I fear I will neverbe able to replace...

Now I know some of the questions that might rise up are if I changedanything, added anything, if I tested for stray electricity.... the answer tothese questions are No across the board....nothing has been added, nothing haschanged...this was all at random or so it seemed....no chemicals enter thisroom either.

I am at a loss right now as I have no idea what caused this or how to stopthe death...the death toll at the moment is 25 pieces...more than half thecoral in my tank.

If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated...there are no pestsin tank and none of the fish are affected by this with the exception of acopperband butterfly that has stopped eating...it may be unrelated however I amnot sure at this point.

As of right now this is the list of dead coral

Blue Mille
Tyree Setosa
Forest Fire Digitata
Orange Digitata
Purple Stylophora
Pink Stylophora
Rainbow Stylophora
Green Stylophora
Pink Jade
Undata Monti
Lantana Monti
Rainbow Monti
Sunset Monti
Chilli Pepper Monti
Superman Monti
Jedi Mind Trick Monti
Green Birdsnest
ORA Hyacinth Birdsnest
Ponape Birdsnest
Green Cap
Red Cap
Cyphastrea
Candy Cane
Maze Brain
Rainbow Frogspawn
Lobophylia
Hollywood Stunner Chalice
Soccer Mom Chalice
Pink Panther Chalice
Green Wall Hammer
Blue Branching Hammer

Last edited:

mshur

Rating - 99.3%
294   2   1
Wow, thats a real bummer.. i am very sorry for you loss. i am not sure if its a typo or ur salinity 24?.. it should be 34ppm..Do you dose kalk?

mike

jcdeng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
could it be the lobo was starting to die, and it releases toxins into the tank before it melt and that kill off the most sensitive SPS, then when its actually melting, it nuke the tank with more toxins? Just a thought. Really sorry for your loss, can't imagine if that had happen to me...

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
probably something more... a pump going bad... a heater going bad... corrosion of some metals in the tank..
anything and everything is a possibility.
and those will not show up in a test kit.

JMar101786

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
could it be the lobo was starting to die, and it releases toxins into the tank before it melt and that kill off the most sensitive SPS, then when its actually melting, it nuke the tank with more toxins? Just a thought. Really sorry for your loss, can't imagine if that had happen to me...

The lobo was thriving before all this happened as was everything else in the tank which is why it confuses/frustrates me as there were no signs of anything being "off"

JMar101786

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
probably something more... a pump going bad... a heater going bad... corrosion of some metals in the tank..
anything and everything is a possibility.
and those will not show up in a test kit.

The pump was only about a year old...so i don't think it was going bad

The heater is approx 6 months old as i change them at the start of the new year

I don't have any metals that i know if in the tank...i am pretty crazy when it comes to what goes into my tank...the only metals i use are the hose clamps which get changed yearly

i've tested for copper and that checked out

JMar101786

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Oh man- sorry :(

i hate when there is clueless why its happening!

Are you using kent carbon?? There was recall recently.

Test cooper ?

Heater broke?

Jake

I did hear about the recall...no i don't use kent...never been a big fan of kent

copper test checked out

and heater is only 6 months old...no cracks or anything of the sort...it was actually one of the first thing i checked.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
I'm sorry for your loss. That Is a real shame. I'm just thinking outside the box. Could it be an angry wife? Or maybe someone in the family was cleaning something or spilled something in your water/saltwater before the water change?

I know my wife contemplates on nuking my tank because I spend so much time on it.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Sorry to hear about the losses. Hopefully you'll get it figured out what caused it and let us know. It may help one of us as well down the line. Also if you want I got some corals I'll frag out and hook you up to help restock your tank when the time comes.

JMar101786

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I'm sorry for your loss. That Is a real shame. I'm just thinking outside the box. Could it be an angry wife? Or maybe someone in the family was cleaning something or spilled something in your water/saltwater before the water change?

I know my wife contemplates on nuking my tank because I spend so much time on it.

I wish that was the case...but I make it a habit to keep everyone in myhouse happy lol... a happy home is a happy reef :)

in all seriousness I am pretty protective over the room so It's not really apossibility...plus everyone knows the sensitive nature of the water so ifanything like that was to happen they let me know within minutes

For example....a few years back my younger cousin...3 at the time...thoughthe was helping me by squeezing a bottle of Alk into my sump...I found out rightafter he did it.

Don?t get me wrong anything is possible...however I just think this one is alittle beyond the reach of the scenario

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: