Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
A few weeks ago at my LFS I saw a blue-ish leather that I regretted not buying. I popped my head into the store today and was in shock. Their reef tank looked like complete $h!t. The water was foggy and every coral had been knocked over. The blue leather was squished into a little ball in the corner.

I remembered how great it looked a month ago and decided to get it. My smooth talking fiancee got the manager down to $10. He tried to talk us out of it stating that it was about to die, but he eventually caved in.

I put it into a 2.5 gallon all-glass tank and did a drip acclimation for hours (with a bubble stone running) until all of the fish store water was gone.

I've now got the leather in my tank but it's a bit curled up and the color is toned down.

What should be done to revive it? SHould I put it high or low? Lots of flow or minimal flow? Did I make a major mistake or is this something that some of you have managed to pull off?

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Thanks for the tip. I've dropped it down to the bottom of the tank.

Here's a pic from 5 minutes ago. I'll post an update in a few months

leather6-4-06.JPG

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
i've revive leather from the worst possible conditions. as long as your water is good (good enough for lps to thrive), just provide gentle flow at first n gradually increase to med flow with low to med lighting. if it's still in solid form, it will expand again. extra dose of iodine will help.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I found that if you tease the leather a bit by blowing the surface with a powerhead then let it sit at a low flow but high light area would help it to open up.

When you blow it, it does not look there is any slim on it. Then when you wake up next morning you will see some slim skin peeling off. Soon you will see the buds coming out.

Also I can clearly see that there are goose bumps in your leather and that means it wanna come out when your water is right.

Last edited:

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I let the powerhead blow on it from a bit of a distance. It kind of looks like the outer layer of skin (?) started to blow off. I'm not sure if I did more harm than good.

Before I start pumping iodine supplements into the tank, is there a test for iodine levels? What level of iodine should be in the tank?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Craig, leathers (like the one you saw in my tank also) will slough off their skin every now and then. A perfectly healthy leather will, from time to time, retract all polyps for a week or two and just peel away some skin.

My recommendation would be to just let your leather be for awhile. As long as you don't see it deteriorate any further, just leave it alone. If it starts going downhill we can reassess the situation and determine if another course of treatment is necessary.

Everytime you move it, blow it with powerheads, change lighting, etc. you're going to cause it to withdraw its polyps (if they are extended). If the polyps aren't extended, then they surely won't extend them with all the changes and manipulating.

Sit back and enjoy it. With good water parameters you'll have a healthy leather in no time ('no time' is a relative term :biggrin: ).

Good luck and keep us posted with a pictorial update every now and then.

swimmer

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Some leathers require low to moderate flow too so I would put it in indirect medium flow and it may open up a little quicker.

I agree russ Leathers seem to be one of the easier corals to dye.

Also Leathers are notorious for being tempermental and "pouters" Once they find a spot they like they open right up.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
DaRealDvs1 said:
That's what I thought.

They will eventually fade out.

If it was dyed, yes.
I'm not saying this one was dyed. We all know colors in coral can be very subjective. What someone calls red, others call brown. I've just never heard of a blue sarcophyton. But there's lots of things I haven't heard of in this hobby. :wink1:
IF this one was dyed, then I would say the coloration won't last long.

swimmer

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
The leather has taken a turn for the worse. It's getting browner and seems to be "melting". A thin slime that is the same color is covering some neighboring rocks and a sponge. The top half has crumbled.

I've moved him to the back where he cant slime anything else.

Is this a lost cause or can this still be recovered?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: