Cibo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
+1 live
you can try ghost shrimps /there are some fresh water fish that can be acclimated to salt water or you can put small cheep salt water fish in the tank, they also sell a clear stick that you can spear the food you are trying to feed and wave it around like it is alive....

good luck

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
What kind of lionfish?
How old is it?
What else do you have in the tank?
What size tank?
What do you mean never in captivity, did you just pull it out of the ocean?

I started my antenata lionfish on live ghostshrimp. NEVER feed it any kind of fresh water fish, they are not healthy and can transfer parasites or worse.
It is important to start feeding it live shrimp as soon as you can or it will slowly starve to death.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
When you say large is it a Volitan or a dwarf species?..with either the shrimp on a stick or line will work, but live as mentioned is better. If it is the larger Volitan I'm surprised the clownfish aren't eaten already. I would think about getting them out.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
And what happens with the thread?
Make the knot at the tip of the tail or head so the thread can be easily yanked off. A short piece of thread will not hard the fish either. I didn't have the patience to go into detail, i hope eveyone get it now. This methode work for me many times. Check nitrate as well, they don't like nitrate too high. Good luck and be carfull...

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
And what happens with the thread?
How do you like this thread?
kiko-poop01.jpg

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I used feeding tongs to hold the tail of the shrimp. Once the lionfish was used to eating free swimming ghost shrimp I would slightly stun the shrimp so the they would move less. Eventually the lionfish was eating shrimp from the feeding tongues that had no life left at all.
At that point I was freezing the shrimp and thawing them but still using tongues but eventually mixing mysis and krill. After a while I would release the food a moment before the lionfish ate it. Training it to track food in the water column. Now I have removed the tongues all together and it eats frozen food from the water column.
Took a couple months but every milestone is a small victory.
This is for an antenata lionfish and these are harder to train than volitans.

Last edited by a moderator:

winsbxnyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
you have to feed him live food they like to chase there food buy a doller or 2 dollers worth of the feeder guppies they sell at petland i garente you he will eat a few so will some of your other fish alot of ppl will probally disagree with me but you have to get him too eat but live food he will eat trust me

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: