Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Can anyone recommend some peaceful Tangs that could be mixed in the same tank? It seems that many of them are ok as long as they are the only Tang in the tank. I'm looking for 2-3 peaceful, reef-safe ones for my new tank.

Also, I want a Wrasse harem that would be safe with them as well... probably some sort of Fairy Wrasse seems like the best bet from what I've read. Any thoughts??

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
The question is the size of the tank, as the larger the tank the better change that you'll be able to mix them together. Even then there will always be some fighting or pushing again one another.

I would look at the some of the smaller tangs:

Convict
Kole, where there are a bunch of similar ones
Tomi tang
Scopas Tang
Slightly larger would be a Sailfin Tang
The Orange Shoulder & Lt(Tennati) tang is also another one but it does grow to a good size, a small Juv would be good.
The Naso are also good but get large, and need a good size tank to swim around in

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My new tank is a 120 Long... so 5 feet long instead of 4' like a normal 120. This should give me a little extra room until they get really big.

I was looking at Naso's on Liveaquaria but it said they are aggressive towards other tangs. If I add them all at the same time would they be ok? Ideally I would like to get a male/female pair...

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
It's going to be very hard to keep two Naso in the same tank, and they don't pair up like Clown fish do. The best bet would be to get a small one and one of the others like, an Juv Orange Shoulder tang, Lt Tang or one of the other small ones that I listed. That would most likely work, though you never know until you get them in the tank.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It's going to be very hard to keep two Naso in the same tank, and they don't pair up like Clown fish do. The best bet would be to get a small one and one of the others like, an Juv Orange Shoulder tang, Lt Tang or one of the other small ones that I listed. That would most likely work, though you never know until you get them in the tank.

Ah ok... was going to try to stick with the paired theme I have going on with my Clownfish and Mandarins but that's ok. I really want a couple of Tangs and will start with small ones from your list. I think definitely a Blonde Naso to start, thanks! Any issues with mixing Tangs and Wrasses?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Cool, thanks again... is there another site besides liveaquaria that has good info on different fish? Seems to be the only one I can find and I often hear/read stuff on here that contradicts them... they are probably just being conservative since they have their 14 day guarantee.

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Ah ok... was going to try to stick with the paired theme I have going on with my Clownfish and Mandarins but that's ok. I really want a couple of Tangs and will start with small ones from your list. I think definitely a Blonde Naso to start, thanks! Any issues with mixing Tangs and Wrasses?

Quite a few people have success with pairing up blue hippos but it's still a gamble as to whether or not it will work for you. The best thing to do if you're going to attempt it is to either put 2 in at the same time with a bit of a size difference between them or introduce a small one now and a larger one later.

I know a few people that have done it with a Red Sea Yellow Belly Hippo and a regular blue hippo.

The most important thing IMO is to introduce different spieces/same spiees at the same time when you're going to add different spieces into the same tank. Often the existing tangs will harrass/kill the newcomer especially if you only added the new fish by himself.

IME, if you have 1 or 2 dominant tangs and you add 1 more later, it is a 50/50 gamble. If you instead add 2-3 more tangs/angels then the existing ones often don't even bother with the fight. BUT it is still a gamble.

My best results have always been from feeding the existing fish until they become "fat drunk" and then turn off all the lights in the tank and the room (even if you have to cover it with a blanket or cardboard boxes) and acclimate the new fish into the tank.

The fat bellies help to curve aggression as does making it dark. Once you add the new fish, they can settle in and fully acclimate and calm them selves down in a stress free manner. Once the sun comes up or the lights turn on, you may be able to completely avoid any confrontation by using this method. Sometimes theres a little tail whipping ut it usually subsides in short order. But sometimes, it turns into a fiasco but IME it works out to be a 9 out of 10 success rate.

As far as fairy/flasher wrasses go, it has been my experience that you can run into issues with tangs and any fish that can spread their fins in a similar fashion to a Zebrosoma or Ctenochaetus species. It isn't etched in stone by any means but Red Sea Eightline Flashers, Scott's Fairies, Hawaiian Flame Wrasses, etc, can sometimes run into issues with those types of tangs. IMO, it's because they flash their fins in a similar way. IMO, it may be better to introduce the wrasse first or choose one that doesn't have a similar fin type. Typically you never run into issues with wrasses and tangs unless you're talking some supermales that having amazingly beautiful fins that they can spread to make themselves appear very large.

Hope this helps.

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Cool, thanks again... is there another site besides liveaquaria that has good info on different fish? Seems to be the only one I can find and I often hear/read stuff on here that contradicts them... they are probably just being conservative since they have their 14 day guarantee.

The best thing to do is find a fish that interests you and then do a google search. Once you do the search, stick to the links that are in reefing forums and read about peoples' personal experiences but becare to weed out things that are said by some novices at they may not be offering good advice and look for people that seem to have lots of experience. Sometimes looking at how many posts or how long it has been since they have been a member are helpful hints.

Most sites like LA are often off quite a bit in their descriptions of how a fish will behave so your best bet will always be from people with first hand knowledge.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I only speak from personal experience; Currently I have 5 tangs in my 155 gal. 6' Bowfront. Every now, and then they will do a little switch blade dance, but nothing alarming.

I never in the past 11 years attempted to add a single tang in to a tank that already housed other tangs, but it was do it or give up on having my PBT. I always added 3 at a time.;) That worked OK because the attention/aggression got spread around vs a single tang getting all the attention/aggression from the other tangs.

I just added my last tang (powder blue tang) last week. Initially there was quite a bit of aggression from the smallish Yellow Tang [it is getting less & less], the other tangs (Purple, Hippo, and Sailfin tangs) did check him/her out let it know that they were there first, but no big deal. It did get a tear in it's dorsal fin the first night in the tank which has already repaired.;)
I AM NOT saying that you should do the above as this method NEVER worked in the past for me which is why I always introduced trios.;) I attribute the success of the above PBT to a number of things: First, and most important is that the Powder Blue Tang I am speaking of is/was an extremely healthy specimen.
Second is it's personality, the fish I speak of is not easily intimidated. {Heck, I sort of wonder how aggressive will he be in the long run.}
Third is that I keep my animals well fed; meaning there is plenty of food to go around. Got to understand that due to my feeding habits I have to keep maintenance to a strict 20 to 30% weekly schedule, as well running gfo/gac, and a good Protein skimmer 24/7.

Now to a pair of Naso tangs: My best friend had a pair in her 155 gal. tank (for how long - I do not remember) which I inherited. They were beautiful, and always swam together. I loved that pair, they had some personality.:) I could not go near the tank without them coming right to where I was. I lost them when we switched out the tank. I believe they were stressed to much. They were OK with the initial move from Lee's house to my house (Oct.,2006) but the second move from the 75 to 155 (Dec.,2006) and then to the new RR 155 (Feb.,2007) was just to much for them.
Naso's stress easily, and more often then not perish! With that said; IF I am ever blessed with a 220 or larger tank I would love nothing more then to have another pair of Blonde Naso Tangs. Not that I would hope to have them breed or anything like that.

The pic here show's the pair just before the third transfer to the new RR tank. Tank had been getting torn down hence it's state.;)

Great all around advice, thank you! I plan to add as much as I can to the tank on the same day... hopefully next weds :)
Be very careful on adding to much to the tank at one time. The bio-load could prove to be way more then your tank can handle, which could result in the death of the animals.:(

Attachments

• Leola's Naso pair.jpg
    Leola's Naso pair.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Lol.... I appreciate the excitement but don't go too crazy. You don't want to shock.the chemistry of your system and add 20 fish all at once. Also, u should decide if you r going to quarantine or not as well.

Lol, I realized I was probably going to get that response after I submitted my post. Note that this tank will be an upgrade of my 54g bow, with all the water, sand, live rock, refugium etc going into the 120g long. I'll be monitoring my levels closely after adding the new fish but I don't anticipate any issues since I have a great bacteria base. I'm also getting another 75lbs or so live rock from my friend who is getting rid of his 120g soon as well.

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Lol, I realized I was probably going to get that response after I submitted my post. Note that this tank will be an upgrade of my 54g bow, with all the water, sand, live rock, refugium etc going into the 120g long. I'll be monitoring my levels closely after adding the new fish but I don't anticipate any issues since I have a great bacteria base. I'm also getting another 75lbs or so live rock from my friend who is getting rid of his 120g soon as well.

That's cool but you may find it best to scrap the old sand. It can cause serious spikes and usually leads to nothing good. New sand is a better way to go because of all of the garbage that is trapped in your old sand. If you do a search on any of these reef forums and see how people did their transfers and lost lots of stuff, everyone usually points out that the sand should not have been reused. Unless you're going to let it settle for at least a week (minumum) and let everything stabilize but it's up to you.

Best of luck and congrats on the upgrade!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yeah I did consider this... I have a thin sand bed <1" deep and my tank has only been up since last November. I had started completely over (mostly anyway, still had same fuge, mineral mud, and live rock) after a bad crash last October. So I was figuring between it being a relatively new tank, my sand-sifting starfish, hermits, shrimp etc it would be fairly free of detritus and should not cycle...

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thanks for the insight... there are always risks as you point out but I'm going to try to be as careful as possible. Do you happen to know if the Naso's were of the same or different sex? That could make a huge different.

Is your ? in regards to the Nasos I had? If so, the answer is they were most definitely opposite sex. The male was the one with the streamers in the pic I posted.:) The female was the one without the streamers.
BTW, the pair was purchased by my friend from LiveAquaria.com.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: