fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I was looking at my tank and started thinking of all the changes I had made, the impulse buys, the purchases without doing enough research and some of the misinformation that plagued my early reefkeeping. It got me thinking about things I wish someone told me earlier.

1. Type of flow is what's important, not volume.
2. Test your water more then you think you need to, you'll be surprised at what you find (I still am.)
3. Do NOT use tap water.

Anyone have others?

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
spend only what you can afford ,dont go over board ..this is a very expensive hobby ,,read before getting into it ,ask questions ( even if you think they are silly) ppl will answer you !!! make sure you dont use tap water for saltwater tank (fish or reef) the list gos on and on ,,,

This is a hard hobby ,,some ppl on here make it look easy ,its not ,they have some of the best equpitment to keep there animals alive .

But its also the best hobby you can get into ,,youll learn alot about fish ,corals and ocean life ,how they live eat sleep rest ane :bunnies: you get it enjoy things other just see on tv .

Doc

Reef Doctor
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
to use this website. I really learned a lot on it. I love my tank and I appreciate it so much more once I started reading the posts here regularly. Know what you are about to do/buy. Don't just buy it. Invest wisely. A better skimmer/sump/anything that costs more, but that will fail less often is definitavely worth it.

Doc

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
That Acrylic scratches like a mofo...wait they did tell me but I just thought that I "would just be careful"....not the case. Go glass man.

inkblue

Rice Planter
Rating - 98.6%
145   2   0
nanoreefer22 said:
We didn't know you didn't know. We were under the assumption that you knew, since you were buying every single item that went up for sale. We all figured you knew about the cost part:teeth:.

:lol: i wAs sPeaking in generaL teRms for everyOne'S benEfit :wink1::splitspin:grouphug:

ummm... anyOne haVe anytHing for saLe ;)

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I guess I'll add a few more:
1. Go for the better lights now, if you pick the cheaper alternative you're just going to end up selling it and buying the good ones anyway.
2. Get the better pump now, if you buy the cheaper one you're just going to end up selling it and having to get the better one anyway.
3. Buy the better skimmer now, if you buy the cheaper one with the lower rating you're going to wish you bought the bigger one.
4. Don't "convince yourself" that you'd be happy with the tank that isn't the one you really want. You're slowly going to turn your tank into the one you want and waste money in the process. Do the tank you want, at the size you can afford.
5. Things that "can't be done", can be done but they require lots of skill, time, experience and luck. You don't have those yet. :)

Last edited:

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
We should do an anonymouse survey to estimate how much (by tank size) people spend on their tanks/year and total. It would be an interesting sticky!

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Are you new to this hobby!? Haha. The last thing that most of us want is to think about how much money we've spent. I personally am in denial. I think I've only spent............ugh........nevermind.

LeslieS said:
We should do an anonymouse survey to estimate how much (by tank size) people spend on their tanks/year and total. It would be an interesting sticky!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: