CoralMeister

The Flying Reefer
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
rbtas are kind of common these days....dont know why the lfs would say u wont find one for less than 100$

Off topic here, but anyway

Honestly, the market for coral has seriously gone down. Common or not. It kinda sucks cause the value of our stuff goes down. I remember people buying and selling red hornets for like 85 bucks a polyp, now it's like 5 dollars a polyp. The market for this hobby should be preserved. Soon it looks like we'll be able to get Red dragons for $10 an inch :D

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0

Honestly, the market for coral has seriously gone down. Common or not. It kinda sucks cause the value of our stuff goes down. I remember people buying and selling red hornets for like 85 bucks a polyp, now it's like 5 dollars a polyp. The market for this hobby should be preserved. Soon it looks like we'll be able to get Red dragons for $10 an inch :D
This is the way the hobby has always been, the corals go down in price because so many people grow the. They were once rare and are no longer rare. Right now the high end chalices are still keeping some higher prices but those will go down as well, just like any other coral. There is one known exception I know of that has kept it's price or even has gone up and those are sopranos.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Unfortunately that's the side of livestock that seems to stay or increase in price. I have seen many fish go up in price over the years, some by 500% easily

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Fish prices will always stay the same unless there is a serious movement in fish breeding. Right now its too cost prohibitive and difficult for the average saltwater aquarist to do.

Aaahh Basic Economics at work. Gotto love the supply/demand curve.

Supply_and_Demand.jpg

When everyone stops treating this hobby as a get rich quick investment then coral prices will normalize.

The people buying those 85$ polyps are the people thinking they can grow another head or two in a month and resell it to someone for 85$. If people were buying the coral for themselves without thinking about profit there wouldn't be 85$ polyp prices in the first place.

I dunno about you but like most people experienced in the hobby its a good rule of thumb to wait 4-5 months and all those expensive coral that are rare people are giving out practically for free because they have so much of it. Its fun sitting around laughing at the people actually buying the 100$ a head zoa's knowing you got 10-15 heads for free from overgrowth from your friend.

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
fish prices will always stay the same unless there is a serious movement in fish breeding. Right now its too cost prohibitive and difficult for the average saltwater aquarist to do.

Aaahh basic economics at work. Gotto love the supply/demand curve.

supply_and_demand.jpg

when everyone stops treating this hobby as a get rich quick investment then coral prices will normalize.

The people buying those 85$ polyps are the people thinking they can grow another head or two in a month and resell it to someone for 85$. If people were buying the coral for themselves without thinking about profit there wouldn't be 85$ polyp prices in the first place.

I dunno about you but like most people experienced in the hobby its a good rule of thumb to wait 4-5 months and all those expensive coral that are rare people are giving out practically for free because they have so much of it. Its fun sitting around laughing at the people actually buying the 100$ a head zoa's knowing you got 10-15 heads for free from overgrowth from your friend.

ditto

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: