Vibemyreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs claims that you will not find a "real" BTA or rbta for less then 100 anywhere and if you do then it is faked an usually an acorn anemone. I tried to research acorn and I can't find anything that looks like an anemone especially a BTA? I found this bta for 70$ but did not want to buy it till I found out the truth about BTAs here it is .. Both of these were from different lfs and all claim to be BTA

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1349195143.891582.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1349195143.891582.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 292
  • ImageUploadedByReefs1349195171.107223.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1349195171.107223.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 291

Vibemyreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ahola I'm not sure he claims ppl sell fakes Bc his is priced at 130 . His is bigger than most I see and slightly larger bubbles but I have showed him TE picture and states that it's an acorn I want to be sure before I purchase

al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
well if u want to be sure, best bet is to look for one here, search the FS/FT threads cuz i've seen some up for sale, much healthier and guaranteed BTA

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Anemones

Basically that's a load of detrius

Well I can assure you, you can find a green bta from anywhere near 25 - 300 bucks. RBTA's i would say 60 - 300.

I dont think i have ever seen anyone selling a acorn anemone as a bta. They are more know as corn anemones and usually they are died pink or yellow.

Good for you for not taking their word for it.

Anemones like BTA's also split regularly alot of people have babies.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I have given GBTAs away for free, so he is full of skimmate.

I also bought a really cool watermellon BTA from the MR marketplace for $50.
Keep looking in MR they pop up all the time and I would trust those over the LFS.

andylee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Hope you don't take this the wrong way, but if this is for your the tank that you were worried about overstocking, I would slow down on the livestock and pump up on some hardware, or you are going to start losing livestock (and money).

Vibemyreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Andy I don't take offense I'd rather someone be honest n tell me what I'm doing wrong, I don't plan on adding a BTA anytime soon I plan on upgrading before considering that but what hardware would you suggest ?

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Anemones

The safest bet is a bubble tip from a split. That is an anemone that has been in captivity longer.

The ones in the pics are nice too.

Let me ask you this Why do you want an anemone and what do you plan to keep long term in the tank with it?

Im gonna see if you have a tank thread, ill let ya know.

andylee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I'm not sure what you have right now, but you were concerned about the volume of your tank, your skimmer, and your lighting. All are important for the more demanding anemones. Size for stability, skimmer for nutrient removal, and lighting for photosynthesis and growth.

What's up in Freehold? I grew up in Marlboro.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
BTA's and RBTA's ae very common. I sell clones of my RBTA (generally around 6" is size) for $35. The store is trying to rip you off, do not trust them ever again.

Best of luck,

Phil,
Even though the guy seems to be BS-ing(until we see how big the nem is) but we should not be so extreme because RBTA does cost more than what you sell even from wholesaler. There is one wholesaler who supplied at least 4 vendors here wholesale 3 inch ones at $35.

BTW, kudo to you for offering such a good price to fellow hobbyist.

That brings my suggestion to the OP, if you have time and patience, try to post a "want to buy" thread first to see whether you can get a deal and compare your choices with any LFS. Note: Frequently hobbyist pricing is actually more than LFS, so you should be careful too. Don't just assume everything selling in the forum are good, deals or genuine either. I can give you countless examples, especially in live rocks. I have seen many for sale threads that posted like $2/lb but when I visited the buyers I found that those are the Altantic ocean rock which is super dense, heavy and lots of sharp edges. Many LFS sell those rock for around or less than $2/lb.

Vibemyreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The safest bet is a bubble tip from a split. That is an anemone that has been in captivity longer.

The ones in the pics are nice too.

Let me ask you this Why do you want an anemone and what do you plan to keep long term in the tank with it?

Im gonna see if you have a tank thread, ill let ya know.

I already have a purple green sebae but I originally wanted a BTA but my lfs told me it would require more lighting then a sebae so I went that route. I wanted it for my percula pair which one has already hosted it and I'm not sure about the behavior with the other one seems to want to get in but is confused

Vibemyreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you have right now, but you were concerned about the volume of your tank, your skimmer, and your lighting. All are important for the more demanding anemones. Size for stability, skimmer for nutrient removal, and lighting for photosynthesis and growth.

What's up in Freehold? I grew up in Marlboro.

Sick thanks man I dot know exactly what to get just yet I guess I need to just read up but there are so many opinions! But there is captivating coral in the boro fairly new from what I know. Did you live anywhere by Ryan road? Haha

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: