beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Well 16 cups does equal 1 gallon

Actually, this isn't true. A gallon of liquid is equal to 128 fluid ounces. A cup used to measure a dry product can have varying weights.

If you don't believe me, weigh a cup of flour, then weigh a cup of rice.

Since you are measuring salt, the dry volume won't give an accurate measure of weight. You may get close, but the only accurate way to get the proper amount would be to weigh the water, verify the amount, then weigh the salt and add it.

Jarrett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
i use a big brute container, but i pour two 5 gallon buckets into it. so it should be pretty precise. i always went by the 1/2 cup a gallon rule and i think thats the best. 1 and 1/2 cups like you are doing might give you a little higher of a salinity. like the 1027 you got. but a 10 gallon water change at that salinity isn't going to cause you any issues.

jackco711

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Been going through this board for a while now and feel compelled to say something now...

There really should be no room for condescending behavior. Dont care how many posts you have. its just not cool.

There are no stupid questions. Especially in the beginner section.

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Been going through this board for a while now and feel compelled to say something now...

There really should be no room for condescending behavior. Dont care how many posts you have. its just not cool.

There are no stupid questions. Especially in the beginner section.

What are you talking about? As you can see me and Tony were just busting each others chops thats all. But yes other member put there side of the story on how to measure the salt. BTW since when you became a moderator on here? Not saying it in a bad way but how you posted everything it does sound like a moderator.

jackco711

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't need to me a mod to encourage people to be understanding. Didn't know it was your buddy.

I just thought your questions were valid and helpful and wouldn't want people to feel stupid for asking beginner questions.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: