AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Here's a little bit of background: I'm trying to build a 125 gallon, 6-foot tank with corner overflows(1 inch drain and 3/4 inch returns). FOWLR for the first year and I plan on getting into corals after that.

Just finished dry-fitting the 2nd incarnation of my plumbing design. Was hoping for some feedback before I start gluing the fittings.

I decided to split the return using a true wye and flex pvc because the turns I needed to make were a real PIA to accomplish with rigid pvc.

I still have to pick up some pipe hangers to support the pipes. Plan on doing that at some point today...if the snow ever stops.

I also wanted to incorporate a UV. Any suggestions on how I might plumb that in would be appreciated.

Lastly, I picked up a 3/4 inch gate valve at Lowes because I hardly ever see them so I thought it might be useful. Would it make sense to use the gate valve on the outlet of the pump? FYI: The pump is an Iwaki MD-55RLT.

Any suggestions or feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_5532.jpg
    IMG_5532.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_5533.jpg
    IMG_5533.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_5534.jpg
    IMG_5534.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_5535.jpg
    IMG_5535.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_5536.jpg
    IMG_5536.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_5537.jpg
    IMG_5537.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_5538.jpg
    IMG_5538.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 222

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i see you reduced 1" off pump to 3/4". i think it would be better to go with 1" off pump then use a 1" y reduced to two 3/4". by the way did you buy that y locally

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
i see you reduced 1" off pump to 3/4". i think it would be better to go with 1" off pump then use a 1" y reduced to two 3/4". by the way did you buy that y locally

Thanks Edd, thats an interesting suggestion. I had to order the wye online. Could not find it in stores.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Nice setup witch side is the return. Are you planning on a refugium, I'm following along to get an idea for when I get my tank. Good luck with build

Thanks Frankie. The tank has two overflows so there are return lines on each side of the tank. If you check out the pics, the refugium will be the chamber to the left of where the skimmer is located.

Last edited:

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
AD,

I see you have 2 TUBV's on the far return but none on the return closest to the pump.

Water is going to take the path of least resistance and usually the strongest in flow is closest to the pump. What that means is that the extra length to get to the far side of the tank will have the majority of the flow going to the short side of the tank and anything you do to restrict the far side is only going reduce it even more.

I would have put one valve on the short side and one on the long side to balance them out and give you the flexibility to choose how much flow goes where.

Aside from that the plumbing looks clean

House

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
ad,

i see you have 2 tubv's on the far return but none on the return closest to the pump.

Water is going to take the path of least resistance and usually the strongest in flow is closest to the pump. What that means is that the extra length to get to the far side of the tank will have the majority of the flow going to the short side of the tank and anything you do to restrict the far side is only going reduce it even more.

I would have put one valve on the short side and one on the long side to balance them out and give you the flexibility to choose how much flow goes where.

house
+1

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
good luck i jus set up a 125 and it was a night mare i got it running now perfect but i had to go old school your work looks good fine to me

LOL, thanks Wins. Can you send me some pics of the plumbing? I'm looking for any tips I get get bro, because this plumbing scares the crap out of me.

How are you liking the Apex? I got one for xmas too. Looking forward to setting it up.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
AD,

I see you have 2 TUBV's on the far return but none on the return closest to the pump.

House

Hey House, thanks for the feedback bro. I'm not entirely pleased with the returns either. I wanted to have them as centered as possible to even out the flow but it was not easy because of the external pump and the space I had to work with.

I put the true unions there so that I can remove those sections for cleaning as well as for when i need to remove the sump for maintenance. I'm looking at it right now and thinking about your suggestion.

Thanks.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
looks clean, just a couple of things that i would do different.
1- the bulkhead on the sump before the return pump I would put the other way.
2- I would not restrict the flow into the return pump with a screen.
3- I would also build a manifold using 1" pvc than reduce down to 3/4 with valves to each return. and also have additional outlets. That pump I think will be too much flow for the drains. It is a pressure rated pump.
4- Also if you have your heart set on using check valves I would only use one, and put it close to the return pump. it will be easear to clean their versus so far up.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
looks clean, just a couple of things that i would do different.
1- the bulkhead on the sump before the return pump I would put the other way.
2- I would not restrict the flow into the return pump with a screen.
3- I would also build a manifold using 1" pvc than reduce down to 3/4 with valves to each return. and also have additional outlets. That pump I think will be too much flow for the drains. It is a pressure rated pump.
4- Also if you have your heart set on using check valves I would only use one, and put it close to the return pump. it will be easear to clean their versus so far up.

Thanks for the feedback rkaragozler.

I had the sump made at Maximum Reef. Note sure I can move the bulkhead as i suspect it is glued into place.

Do you think the screen would reduce flow significantly? I was concerned about something getting sucked in and damaging the pump.

You make an interesting point about the check valves. I'm just paranoid about floods(my GF will kill me). I think I'll take your advice and only use one and place it closer to the pump.

Thanks a lot.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Bulk heads should not be glued into the sump at all. Call them and ask, they should be able to answer you.
and yes i do think that the screen will reduce flow into the pump.
what you can you is put a piece of egg crate between the 2 baffles of the left to keep things away from the pump.
the last chamber is large, when doing your daily look around just watch that nothing crawls in their.

winsbxnyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
text me dan ill help you setit up it took me like 5 hours with no help but together we will get it done quick 6462450408 and ur pvc work is good you jus have to make sure everything is nice and sealed when you finally set it up

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Bulk heads should not be glued into the sump at all. Call them and ask, they should be able to answer you.
and yes i do think that the screen will reduce flow into the pump.
what you can you is put a piece of egg crate between the 2 baffles of the left to keep things away from the pump.
the last chamber is large, when doing your daily look around just watch that nothing crawls in their.

Thanks man. It could be that the bulkhead is just very tightly secured. I'll have to take a closer look.

Thanks for the tip about the egg crate. I'm planning a trip to Lowes in a few so i'll add it to the list.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: