AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'm trying to figure out how to plumb an Aqua UV sterilizer into my system. Looks like the outlet gets plumbed into the return line but where does the intake portion of the UV go? How is the water going to feed into the intake and pass through the unit?

From what i've read, the proper way is to have the water pass through the unit from the return chamber of the sump, after it has passed through the various stages of filtration, but how do you get the water into the unit?

Any tips or pics would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
personally i had mine plumbed so it was almost at poimt of the returns into the tank, make sure it is on the return line so that al;l water returning into the tank is running through it

ClownAquatics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 93.8%
45   3   0
I personally do not run any UV on my systems. But I have heard that you want to run the water at a certain GPH through the UV. If you run too Fast it does nothing, and if you run too slow it "cooks" the water (don't know how else to say that).

I would check the UV to see if it recommends the GPH through the unit, and then use a separate powerhead to run just the UV. Hopefully the heat of that other UV will not effect your system temp.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I was wondering about this. I have a UV but was recommended not to use it on a reef setup. So right now it is just sitting in a box.

Opinions seem to be split on this subject. I'll be running a FOWLR for at least a year before I get into corals so I figure its worth a shot, but I have seen people who use them with a reef tank so i'm not really sure what's best.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
personally i had mine plumbed so it was almost at poimt of the returns into the tank, make sure it is on the return line so that al;l water returning into the tank is running through it

Thanks Reefnoob, thats exactly what I had in mind but I cant seem to figure out exactly where everything goes. If you have any pics or links to informational vids I would really appreciate it.

sunny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Ouput from sump into the inlet of the pump. Outlet of the pump into the UV inlet. Pump will push water into the UV. The outlet of UV into the display.

A ball valve between the pump outlet and the UV inlet (to control the flow). A flow meter (if you want) after UV outlet to dial in the flow.

Makes sense I hope :)

You can also T the outlet from the pump with ball valves. One going through the UV and one going direct to the display tank. This way you can by pass UV if ever needed ;)

Sunny

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I personally put them in their own pump that's rated above the gph ever needed and put an in line ball valve between the pump and inlet of the sterilizer. I take from and return the water to the same chamber in the sump. I've never had to run one on my own system though.

Jzhou

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
If your system has a manifold, I'll divert some of the water to go through the UV. From what you had described earlier, the pump you are currently using is way too fast to have any effect on parasites. For Fowlr tanks, I like using them with tangs.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: