cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Contact reefcleaners and they can put together a package for you. Also try to figure out what is causing it. In my case it was my RO filters going bad. You can try to cut back on your lighting duration too.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
You need to run GFO if not already running it. There are multiple things that eat it including sea hares but adding a living animal to take care of algae is never guaranteed.

I myself wouldn't cut back on lighting cycle, if you don't remove the variable thats causing it once you bring your lighting back to the normal amount of hours it will come back again.

Try one thing at a time until you get it licked.

Will

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Algae needs two things :
Nutrients (Phosphates, nitrates,etc,etc....)
Light (except green bubble algae ) LOL
Try some water changes (R/O water) and if you can remove the rock to get as much of the algae off as you can. If you can't take the rock from the tank , then with a soft tooth brush , remove it from the rock and siphon it out. In the past I have had tanks loaded with algae and have gotten rid of it with this method.
But as said above you have to get rid of the cause or it will return.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
There is no over night fix for this problem...

Like others above have already stated: FIND THE ROOT CAUSE that is feeding the algae.

I also am battling GHA for some weeks now after years of zero algae in my DT. The cause of my algae out break I suspect it is the death of multiple fish.
Nitrates in my tank are un-detectible, but Phosphates are 0.10 which is high.
I see it receding painfully slow, but it is going. What I have been doing is tons of water change with RO/DI water, running BRS GFO via a BRS dual reactors, and feeding the corals once a week a small amount of Oyster Feast & Roti Feast mixed with Selcon, VitaChem & Vitamin C.
Oh, and I have quite the CUC. Do not depend on live animals to correct the situation..

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
I love how the op ignores all the advice and does what they want and then weeks or months later ask why the livestock isn't doing the job it was meant for.

Like everyone stated. You should find the source of the problem and resolve it.

vzhp

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have Gfo, i also use Radion leds for 1.5 years. Only ro/di water.
Still have green algae. My blenny picks on it but i still have alot!!
Nitrates are also fine
Will second blenny help?

B.BASH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Your nitrate levels are low because the algae consumes it before it can register check your rodi with a tds meter algae need nutrients to feed on
do you have a refugium macro algae is an excellent means of nutrient export also how much do you feed do you have adequate flow what is your photo period a blenny is not the answer

Last edited:

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
your nitrate levels are low because the algae consumes it before it can register check your rodi with a tds meter algae need nutrients to feed on
do you have a refugium macro algae is an excellent means of nutrient export also how much do you feed do you have adequate flow what is your photo period a blenny is not the answer

+1

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Have you tested your P04/Phosphates, and with what?

My nitrates register 0, my P04 was on the high side 0.11 after already running GFO in a reactor, and doing multiple water changes with 0 TDS RO/DI. I can only imagine that they were much higher when the algae began.
Been in this hobby for quite some time, and for the past 6 years I had no issues with GHA.
My issue is due to a stupid mistake that killed all my fish, and when I was unable to remove all of them that drove my reef out of whack...
I am working on correcting it at the moment, and not with fish or any invert that will die once all the algae is gone.....

Check your ro/di TDS, and your P04........

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: