• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

nycmarisol

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

This is my first saltwater tank and my first post so I thought I'd make it an interesting one, courtesy of Puddin and Peach, my little pair of ocellaris clownfish. The other night I went into a panic when I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't find them :Yikes: of course, I finally found them- in the cup that hangs in my tank that collects stuff for the skimmer (sorry- I don't know the officially terms for a lot of things yet!). Is this normal? I can't find anything online about it. Should I worry?

nycmarisol

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
_313903.jpg

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I was thinking the little box that comes with the CSS skimer that has a sponge in it for "micro bubble reduction" that the return flows into.

not sure what that is, just make sure its not an intake.. IE they cant be sucked into a pump.

obligatory .. "why do you think we call em clown fish" rotflmao

but ya they sleep in a safe spot and this type of behavior is not uncommon

nycmarisol

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're so right! The are little funny bodies! So this over flow box, it has little "vents" but not something that they our ever slip into. I would love to get rid of some of the micro bubbles, even though red sea max says its normal. Should I start a new thread to ask about that?

greybolt03

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
You're so right! The are little funny bodies! So this over flow box, it has little "vents" but not something that they our ever slip into. I would love to get rid of some of the micro bubbles, even though red sea max says its normal. Should I start a new thread to ask about that?

Reef sanctuary.com has a section just for red seamax owners I would search there for answers on your micro bubbles...

Flushtown Reefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 75%
9   3   0
I have a red sea max.. It's not a big deal if they sleep there since they can't fall into the back.. as far as the water level it might be that you have too much media in that 3 tray thing in the back causing reduced flow which is also causing the water level in the last compartment to be too low making the water drop down over the last baffle causing bubbles which get sucked up by the return pump. You might also want to put hoses on the bottom of the return pumps

nycmarisol

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I'm so grateful to have you guys to count on! I topped off the water two days ago and I thought it was a little high, though the water level indicator on the side says its fine. I will make sure to not run it so full. I also raised the surface skimmer as high as it can go, but still not high enough. Is it okay to just wait til water evaporates more? Flushtown, I think you're right. There's a bag of carbon in the back and if that thing shifts at all its bubble central in there. I don't quite understand the hoses in bottom of return pump thing, but I think that's because I kind of don't know what's back there. I will say that I made a "silencer" for the skimmer hose because that thing is so loud- and it did nothing :/ I will look for Red Sea max forum. THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Last edited:

cody0709

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Red Sea has a sight glass on side of aquarium, water level should be about an inch from top, a little trick is to mark the spot on sight glass and only top off to that line.
This is very cool though, clowns are so funny!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: