AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I've been cycling my tank for about a week now. Today I noticed some buildup in the drain chamber of my sump. It was on the bottom and on the skimmer's pump. I shook the skimmer around and all these particles started floating through the chambers of the sump and into the display tank. I'm pretty sure its sand and I noticed some on the bottom of the overflow boxes too. Is this normal? I'm wondering why this stuff was not caught by my filter socks.

FYI: My skimmer has been off while in cycle.

Thanks.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Try removing the sand with a turkey baster and see if more appears, if so, your filter sock may either be overflowing, or have a leak in it.
Could the sand have been there from the initial set up (pre filter sock) and you are just noticing it now?

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Try removing the sand with a turkey baster and see if more appears, if so, your filter sock may either be overflowing, or have a leak in it.
Could the sand have been there from the initial set up (pre filter sock) and you are just noticing it now?

Thanks Kathy. Its entirely possible that it was there pre-filter sock. I just changed the socks. Are you supposed to change socks during cycle? Just took some pics also.

Attachments

• Drain Chamber2.jpg
    Drain Chamber2.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Drain Chamber1.jpg
    Drain Chamber1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Overflow Box.jpg
    Overflow Box.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 108

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: