dba

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
my rock is growing some white stuff, i researched and was told it could be slime.

But i tried scraping it off with my nail, and it's pretty hard on the rock...

37989084.jpg

41223872.jpg

this is my water test as of this afternoon.

testmqw.jpg

dba

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
1 Week today..

From all of the bizarre stuff i've researched over the last few hours.

What makes the most sense is that this is "Coralline Bleaching"

I have not tested Calcium or Alkalinity since I am still in the cycling process. Tomorrow I will go to my LFS and get both test kits.

Someone suggested that it could be the change in lighting over the past few weeks. I picked up this LR from my LFS, where it was under LED lighting.

When i first built my tank and started the cycle process 1 week ago, I had on
T5's from 7am-12pm,
MH's from 12pm - 4pm,
T5's from 3-pm -7pm
LED Moonlight from 6pm - 3am
no lights from 3am - 7am

Because of Algae reasons, I by multiple sources to leave lights off during cycle.

Can someone confirm that this is "Coraline Bleaching" if so, can anyone shed some insight, on how to stop, or how to proceed from here on out.

Thanks for all your help

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I second that it looks like coraline algae bleaching/dying.

Given that the rock came from an (assumedly) established tank to your newly cycling tank, I think that is to be expected.

When I do not acclimate purple rock or leave it out for too long it dies like what that looks like.
Then some months pass and it gets purple again.

At least that is my experience

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I second that it looks like coraline algae bleaching/dying.

Given that the rock came from an (assumedly) established tank to your newly cycling tank, I think that is to be expected.

When I do not acclimate purple rock or leave it out for too long it dies like what that looks like.
Then some months pass and it gets purple again.

At least that is my experience

+1

Dude, relax...let your tank do "it's thing" no need to stress when there is no livestock.

roc5288

ReefersDelight
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I wouldn't worry about it. Does look like die off. Don't worry so much about cal & alk for the moment. Let your tank cycle keep testing. When your done with the cycle do a 20 to 30% water change then test again. When you start putting livestock in your tank then start testing for cal & alk.

Rating - 94.6%
105   6   0
Its too late to tell you but to start a tank its a good idea to start cycle with live "base" rock. When the cycle is done then add your show live rock. You may get a mini cycle but you will have less die off.
Dust your rocks with a turkey baster to get rid of the gathering particulate or set your powerheads in the ideal position that they give good flow all around.
Some of the coralline on the surface will survive, most will not. Don't be discouraged once you cycle and add some good water chemistry practices it will come back. You can also buy a few small chunks and either scrape or pulverize and dust/seed your tank.
Lesson learned we all been thru something like this b4. Slow and easy in all things with a reef except when absolutely necessary rush!

Rating - 94.6%
105   6   0
Oh last note. You might want to change your test kit. API is wildly off and the colors can be subjective. Red sea is better. I made the switch and O.M.G.! What a difference. RedSea, Salifert, Elos, etc. Ask a friend or LFS to test after you test and most times there is a big difference. 0 on that test is like up to 30 or 40ppm on other tests! Anything but API...

dba

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks for the advice.

I am getting Elos in this week on Roc's recommendation. Right now I am testing ammonia daily, and testing everything every 3 days. I will start testing nitrate and nitrate after I see a huge Ammonia spike.

All the research i've done is coraline algae bleach because of the die off. it will eventually get its color back in a couple of months.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: