AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So earlier in the day I heard a strange air sucking sound coming from one of my gurgle busters. I made a mental note to check it when I had a minute but I got busy with work. I just walked past my tank and noticed that the water in the display was rising over the overflow boxes and about to the touch my screen tops! Just shut down the pump. Looks like I have a lot of snails hanging out in the overflow boxes. I'm wondering if they managed to get into the narrow openings of the gurgle busters??? Not happy right now!

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Why don't you post in the waahh thread...

Just kidding good catch! I wonder if you could add a float switch that might shut off the pump in case it ever happens again. Or perhaps fasten a snail screen around them?

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Why don't you post in the waahh thread...

Just kidding good catch! I wonder if you could add a float switch that might shut off the pump in case it ever happens again. Or perhaps fasten a snail screen around them?

Almost posted in the single and out on my a$$ thread! Looks like it was a build up of dwarf ceriths around the gurgle busters. I'm gonna have to put some gutter guard over the boxes or try and design a cover of some kind. Do you have yours covered?

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Ha, thats too funny!

I don't have gurgle busters and actually don't even know what they are. I just have internal weir/external overflow with straight 1" drains. So any snails that make their way in end up in the sump.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
I have the same problem with turbo snails covering the drain in my overflow box. Almost overflowed my tank. the ATO kept pumping water into my sump. I hate overflow boxes. After this tank never again. I put a egg crate cover over my overflow drain now. and putting an aqua lifter to suck the air out of my u tube because it slowly gets air and loses its syphon.

Spsnut

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use black plastic 1/2" hardware cloth.
638FB62F-E26F-49A6-AEB3-4C411DCD69D0-91-0000000B585398A8.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: