BAD FISH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
its a downgrade because instant ocean is cheap and dirty. It comes with nitrates and phosphates from the ocean in the USA and does not have the essentially elements needed in a reef aquarium. The money your spending dosing it could buy you better salt and save you a little time. TIME=MONEY

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
its a downgrade because instant ocean is cheap and dirty. It comes with nitrates and phosphates from the ocean in the USA and does not have the essentially elements needed in a reef aquarium. The money your spending dosing it could buy you better salt and save you a little time. TIME=MONEY

Ok so lets get into this topic. I've used just about every salt in the market and just about every one has nitrates and phosphates. ESV had .02 phosphates, Reef Crystals (the one you're advocating) had .11 Phospahtes, etc, these might have been bad batches but I test my make up water every now and then and find very low levels of nitrates and phosphates from time to time. Right after that, I test my RO water, etc.. I agree as far as trace elements though. As far as dosing, if you have a high demanding tank you will need to dose anyways, Reef Crystals levels are not off the chart or too impressive either.

Last edited:

BAD FISH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
i use red sea coral pro and hanna checker test kits and i do a 10%weekly water change, I only dose mid week and usually only a little alk and cal. The price difference in the salt is ten dollars a bucket and i even saw the huge bag for the same price as the bucket. The cost of dosing alk ,cal ,mag, iron, stronium ,iodine , and ect. At $10-$30 dollars a bottle is outragous. Who do you think is spending more pre-dosing ?

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
i use red sea coral pro and hanna checker test kits and i do a 10%weekly water change, I only dose mid week and usually only a little alk and cal. The price difference in the salt is ten dollars a bucket and i even saw the huge bag for the same price as the bucket. The cost of dosing alk ,cal ,mag, iron, stronium ,iodine , and ect. At $10-$30 dollars a bottle is outragous. Who do you think is spending more pre-dosing ?

I hear you, the problem with trace elements is there is no way to test for them so you could be overdosing and not know it. You have a very valid point on as far as dosing though.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: