Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im 100% new to reef tanks ive only been doing this for maybe a month now, i currently have a 20 gal freshwater that is fully vegitated and is doing phenomenal. i just added polyps to the tank about a week ago and after i did a water change they remained closed and still are hours later, whats a tell tale sign if they have died?

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
When you say just started how long ago? Is it possible that it isn't cycled? Have you tested water parameters? Also you need to consider your lighting and acclimate them accordingly.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i started the tank a little more than a month ago now and i had my water tested as well as personally test it every other day, my pH has been fine and ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels have been stable, i keep my gravity at 1.025 as i was told will be healthy for coral growth and up until last night they were perfectly adapted to the tank, i checked them this morning and some of them are opening along the bottom but the ones on top of the frag are still closed

Spsnut

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palythoas are damn near indestructible; zoanthids will recede and die. You'll find that sometimes all these coral animals will retract there polyps tightly, while its maybe not the best sign many will pull right through it. Some soft corals can stay all tightened up for weeks.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the info! my confidence is a lot higher now and just to celebrate i added my first torch and brain coral frags, i collected as much information from the salesman as i could and i think i should be able to keep things under control for now, wish me luck everyone

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: