AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'm about to buy my first fish (Ocellaris clowns) and I'm looking for suggestions on what to feed them during quarantine? I've read that fish sometimes have a hard time eating in the beginning so wondering what everyone else does in the beginning.

Thanks!

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Where you picking up from? My Clowns will eat pretty much anything i throw in flake, pellet, mysis, and brine. I also feed rods frozen to tank as well
*make sure they are eating before bring home

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Where you picking up from? My Clowns will eat pretty much anything i throw in flake, pellet, mysis, and brine. I also feed rods frozen to tank as well
*make sure they are eating before bring home

Thanks for the reply, Joe. I'm looking for suggestions on the best place to get them but I was looking at Absolutely Fish in Clifton, unless someone can give me a good tip. I live close to Reef Encounter but so far I have not been there.

I've read that people add some kind of garlic supplement that's supposed to get the fish eating but I forget the name.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I have used seachem garlic supp. Not sure it has a benefit to food or tank but it attracts fish to eat. Clowns are pretty easy with food shouldnt be a problem. Check here for clowns, prob get better pricing from bendor here than abso.
Clown aquatics is in bergen county. I have a large bottle of seachem if want to try some. Ill be home in few days if want to try some

jcdeng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
well you can tell the sales person at the shop to feed the clowns in front of you, if they eat in the store they should eat in your tank. If they refused food in the store, walk away.

As to when you medicate the QT, you can soak the food in selcon or vita chem to increase appetite. Just make sure if you feed pellets they are 0.5mm - 1mm size.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
You have been on here a year and buying your first fish? Did you just set up a tank? From your signature it sounds like you are off to a good start. Most clowns especially the hybrid ones are tank bred and will eat pretty much anything. Those weird morphs do not happen in the wild very often if at all so if you are buying those they are pretty much guaranteed to eat and less chance of having parasites etc unless they are in a system with sick fish. Regular ocellaris if out of the ocean you never know.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have used seachem garlic supp. Not sure it has a benefit to food or tank but it attracts fish to eat. Clowns are pretty easy with food shouldnt be a problem. Check here for clowns, prob get better pricing from bendor here than abso.
Clown aquatics is in bergen county. I have a large bottle of seachem if want to try some. Ill be home in few days if want to try some

Thanks Joe. Appreciate the offer. Is Clown Aquatics open all day or by appointment?

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
well you can tell the sales person at the shop to feed the clowns in front of you, if they eat in the store they should eat in your tank. If they refused food in the store, walk away.

As to when you medicate the QT, you can soak the food in selcon or vita chem to increase appetite. Just make sure if you feed pellets they are 0.5mm - 1mm size.

Appreciate the feedback JC!

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
You have been on here a year and buying your first fish? Did you just set up a tank? From your signature it sounds like you are off to a good start. Most clowns especially the hybrid ones are tank bred and will eat pretty much anything. Those weird morphs do not happen in the wild very often if at all so if you are buying those they are pretty much guaranteed to eat and less chance of having parasites etc unless they are in a system with sick fish. Regular ocellaris if out of the ocean you never know.

You guys all said to start slow...lol. The tank has been cycled for 4 months now and I just got the QT set up. I'm hoping to get some tank bred clowns.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I love my tank bred occe's i would ask whomever you are getting them from what they are currently feeding to make the transition smooth. When I bought mine they were being fed the New Life Spectrum pellets. I got a container of those but they quickly took to everything.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I love my tank bred occe's i would ask whomever you are getting them from what they are currently feeding to make the transition smooth. When I bought mine they were being fed the New Life Spectrum pellets. I got a container of those but they quickly took to everything.

My Clean Up Crew goes nuts for those pellets. Can I ask where did you get your tank bred clowns?

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
Clown aquatics he has really nice quality fish,I gotten one from him before beautiful fish.

definitely check out clown aquatics, they're in bergen county. perhaps 15 min. north of reef encounter. send them a pm, they haven't been posting new stuff in a while but i know they still have some nice clowns in stock.
i got an awesome pair of black ice extreme from there, tank bred, eats anything, much better price than absolutely fish and reef encounter.

another option is r & r aquatics, they are in washington township.....just off rt. 17 north. they also have tank bred clowns at great prices. these guys sell corals also. if you want to start with some easy to keep corals, they have frags starting at just 10 bucks.....from simple mushrooms and zoa's to frog spawns, hammers, brains, monti and acro's. you won't find more knowledgeable guys at these cheap prices.

both these guys are mr supporters/vendors here, please support our own. send them pm's and get out there and do some shopping....lol.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
definitely check out clown aquatics, they're in bergen county. perhaps 15 min. north of reef encounter. send them a pm, they haven't been posting new stuff in a while but i know they still have some nice clowns in stock.
i got an awesome pair of black ice extreme from there, tank bred, eats anything, much better price than absolutely fish and reef encounter.

another option is r & r aquatics, they are in washington township.....just off rt. 17 north. they also have tank bred clowns at great prices. these guys sell corals also. if you want to start with some easy to keep corals, they have frags starting at just 10 bucks.....from simple mushrooms and zoa's to frog spawns, hammers, brains, monti and acro's. you won't find more knowledgeable guys at these cheap prices.

both these guys are mr supporters/vendors here, please support our own. send them pm's and get out there and do some shopping....lol.

Thanks for the tip Doc! I'm looking for some beginner-type zoas and brains so I think I'll check out R&R. I'd love to support these guys but they are either by appointment only or they have small blocks of time for when they'll be open or available. Tough for someone with an unpredictable work schedule to get any shopping done.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: