AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I just started doing some research on corals. Picked up Aquarium Corals by Borneman and was wondering what everyone would suggest for a starter coral? I'm looking to keep things as simple as possible so preferably something that does not require a lot of special attention. I was thinking Zoanthids. Also, any other reference or reading material suggestions would be appreciated.

Waleedwale1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
294   0   0
I would avoid xenia, in some tanks it does no matter what and in others it leaves no room for other coral. GSP is somewhat similar. I would get a bright easy zoa frag of eagle eyes or something like that.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I would avoid xenia, in some tanks it does no matter what and in others it leaves no room for other coral. GSP is somewhat similar. I would get a bright easy zoa frag of eagle eyes or something like that.

I've read that they can grow out of control but I have two clowns and would like for them to have something to host in. Unfortunately an anenome is out of the question right now as I've read that they require spot feeding and are not easy to care for. I'll probably end up going with a zoa.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I've read that they can grow out of control but I have two clowns and would like for them to have something to host in. Unfortunately an anenome is out of the question right now as I've read that they require spot feeding and are not easy to care for. I'll probably end up going with a zoa.

Your clowns may host in something other thsn a nem
I'm sure people here have them in all kinds of corals

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
As already posted Candy Canes are probably the best bet for a beginner coral. Also the large Button polyps are very easy to keep and probably the easiest would be a leather coral, of which there are many to choose from, just stay away from Kenya trees as they can get out of control.

If you're looking for something that you Clowns will host in a Toadstool Leather coral will work really well. A Hairy Mushroom Coral would be another very easy coral to keep and your Clowns would most likely host them too.

Last edited:

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0

Your clowns may host in something other thsn a nem
I'm sure people here have them in all kinds of corals

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Mushrooms are the easiest, but will eventually take over your tank. The exceptions are the giant ones like Rhodactis. They will get huge, but don't reproduce and take over your tank. Plus, clownfish will be happy in it (as they will with all mushrooms). I agree about Xenia...entertaining, until they take over the tank. Zoa's are good, as suggested. Among hard corals, candycanes and Lobophyllia's are the easiest of the LPS, and Montipora digitata, in various color forms, is the easiest of the SPS. In fact, Montipora is easier than just about any of the LPS corals, even without strong light or current.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: