NYCTURBO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hello just picked up a used red sea max 130 and it was a spur of th moment thing the tank was drained the rock was put into bags the live sand is still in the bottom the tank and the fish are in a bucket help don't know what to do I don't have the time to clean the tank and set it up just yet and I have no clue what to do to keep eventing alive until I get a chance to clean the tank and set it up. The fish I have are 2 black and white clowns,blue tang a squirrel fish and an angler that is in a separate cage don't know why he did that but it's a cool fish any help would be appreciated

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish

You should immediately take them to a local fish store to sell them so they stay alive. Its not fair to any animal that you dont have the time. When you buy something living you make a commitment and if you dont have the time right then, shouldnt be buying a living thing that is dependant on you. I dont mean to sound harsh, but its not fair to the animals and they will die being left in buckets.

Rating - 94.6%
105   6   0
You have to set up the tank without cleaning. I take it that you do not have salt mixed either. What were you thinking. The angler will eat the other fish smaller than it. In fact how did you come to buy a setup with not a clue? pm me Im in manhattan

NYCTURBO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Not looking to kill the fish are in a large bucket with a heater air supply and and a power head just until tomorrow and I will find a solution I was just looking for some advice on the rock the sand and the fish but thanks for you comment.

NYCTURBO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
The angler was in a plastic holding box in the tank I don't know why he would of had the fish like that in a cage and it is still in the plastic holding pen.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
You should immediately take them to a local fish store to sell them so they stay alive. Its not fair to any animal that you dont have the time. When you buy something living you make a commitment and if you dont have the time right then, shouldnt be buying a living thing that is dependant on you. I dont mean to sound harsh, but its not fair to the animals and they will die being left in buckets.

+1 well said. sell the fish, and take your time setting up and cycling your new tank.

NYCTURBO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I called the local fish store they told me they would hold the fish for a fee and I'm ok with that until I can clean the tank and get it set up in my house that I just moved into.

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes more sense and does not put the animals in jeopardy. The angler fish is separate because he would eat all of the others if he came into contact with them.

I called the local fish store they told me they would hold the fish for a fee and I'm ok with that until I can clean the tank and get it set up in my house that I just moved into.

NYCTURBO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I'm useing the salt water from the tank still untill tomorrow I will buy ready mixed or have the fish housed at the fish store.

NYCTURBO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have a new 30 gallon tank that I got from petco if I put the live sand and rock from the red sea that i just got in with store bought salt water filter power head and heater will that work? And do a lot of water changes with store bought water untill the other tank is ready?

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
+1 but yes you can put them in that tank or a rubbermaid with heater and powerhead. Where are you located and do you need help?

(Tang police should be by momentarely - its a joke sorta)

Clearly a bad decision but at least you got the fish situated hopefully we can help get you setup.

Last edited:

Klewis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
No need to knock the guy, impulse purchases happen in this hobby all the time, some bigger than others. Just need to stay calm, do the best thing for the fish, cycle your tank and learn as much as you can in a short period of time. MR is a great place to help you get through this crises.

If the rock and sand have not been in water for the duration of the move and the time you have been trying to figure what to do, I wouldn't put the rock and sand with the fish just yet.(due to die off, crazy cycle will definatly kill the fish). If you can't get the fish to the local store yet, use the old water and and new premixed water in the 30 gallon tank with heater, power head and air supply to support the fish. Throw in some PVC pieces for hiding spots for the fish to try to reduce the stress.

Good luck, and remember this panic mode you are going through the next time you think of doing some thing impulsive with live animals.

empire

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I wouldn't remove that sand if it has always been in water. Leave some water in the tank with a power head for circulation, just enough to cover the sand. Removing the sand will lead to a sh*t storm. If you removed all the water, then i would get rid of the sand and get new sand. I would have set up a hospital tank for your fish in the spare 30 gallon, use the water that was given to you and do a 30% water change. You should probably find a new home for the angler and tang. Keep your liverock wet, and stick a power head with the lr.

Klewis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
IMO, the sand definetly needs to be cleaned

Agreed... No need to get rid of the sand. its worked all these centuries before it went the tank the first time around. If by now you didn't set the tank up I would give the sand a good rinse. Then start with a fresh cycle and get rid of the fish until the tank is ready.

NYCTURBO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Just wanted to thank everyone that responded to my message especially some members.Quick update on where I'm at with the fish.I set up the 30 gallon tank with the live sand and rock from the old tank purchased store bought water and dripped the old water with the store bought water for hours that night I installed 2 filters and 2 powerheads checked my water levels and everything looked good then put the fish in slowly also found a sea erchant and snails everyone seems to be fine the sea erchant is all over the tank the clowns are playing the hipo tang is shy and likes to hide behined the rocks but after a few days he's out there with the clowns,the squirrel fish is crazy and flys around the tank as for the angler fish or frog fish? when I removed the the cage from the bucket I was suprised to find a feeder fish in with him still alive it was black with 2 dots on it looked cool so I went to release him into the tank it was too late he ate it as soon as I went lift the lid to let him out so for now I'll still continue on ck my water levels and getting the red sea cleaned and ready to start a cycle ASAP.

Klewis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
There could be a problem, if your rocks and sand where out of water for a few hours by the time you put them in the 30 gallon tank there probably die off. Your 30 gallon will cycle and your fish could die. It wont happen right away, but probably will some time in the next few weeks. Should of put the rock and sand in the 130 and let it cycle with no live stock. Good luck!!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: