Dimitrios91

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I added a chalice I had gotten from the fall swap last year, not knowing what shape it was in lol, it was a freebie, they said it was an alien eye, others claimed it was a Hollywood stunner, it died after a few months, probably because the tank was still in shock after the big storm. As for cycling, I think cured rock is the way to go if one can afford it anyhow. I didn't bother with dry rock etc myself.

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So I have a bad habit of putting my hands/entire arm lol in the tank. To pick up a fallen frag or do some re aqua scape. Is this bad because of oil from my hands getting into tank? Or possible soap/chemicals I might have been in contact with?

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Also if I know that my par is 140 from the LEDs in the middle of tank on 100%, is it correct to assume the par is 70 at 50% intensity in the same area?

What's the Watts per gallon rules on LEDs? I know its different from other lights? Thanks in advance

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
So I have a bad habit of putting my hands/entire arm lol in the tank. To pick up a fallen frag or do some re aqua scape. Is this bad because of oil from my hands getting into tank? Or possible soap/chemicals I might have been in contact with?

Yep.
You can always buy the thin gloves they sell on line - they go all the way up to your shoulder. They sell them to vets..or buy a pair of these:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000255OEK/?tag=reefs04-20

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Also if I know that my par is 140 from the LEDs in the middle of tank on 100%, is it correct to assume the par is 70 at 50% intensity in the same area?

What's the Watts per gallon rules on LEDs? I know its different from other lights? Thanks in advance

There is no watts per gallon rule in marine tanks.
Don't make yourself nuts over the PAR ratings. Do your corals LOOK happy..are the polyps extended...are they growing (they aren't supposed to grow at crazy fast rates...).
Perhaps ask others who might have the same lighting how high above their tanks they hang their lights (do take into account the tank sizes too!), and at what power they run them.

Greagzter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Like already mentioned some corals are slow growers. I have two of the same zoas one closer to sand bed and one at mid hight, well the one closer to sb took of while the other frag only grew a polyp in 6 months. Also got an orange ricordea approximately 8 months ago and only this week I saw an tiny shroom next to it. So definitely, play around with different depths. As for putting your hands in the tank, invest in a nice aquarium pickstick. This was one of the first things I did, been using it for almost a year and it's like new.
API tests kits are not bad, if you use them PROPERLY. I've noticed that many reeferes including LFS are not using them properly and are getting false readings (proven fact).
Where in BK are you, I got some red sea tests for No3, Cal, Alk, Mag and Hanna checker for phosphates (let me know if you want to re-check your levels)

Ledreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
money ive used about all of the test kits, personally i use the redsea kit which was on par with the salifert kits in reading, for phos a meter is only way to really tell
i think your running your lights for too long as well especially if it is at 65% that whole time. your tank is still very young and will continue going through mini cycles ive found them to come about every 6 months then after a year or two not as much. i cannot stress enough about keeping your hands out of the tank. and stability. your always going to find some corals just dont want to grow for you and will for others.

ledreef how long have you been in the hobby ?

12yrs from now

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Thanks. The "secret" for me is water changes. I'm pretty religious with them. Every week about 20g. Plus I change carbon and gfo on rigid schedule as well.

Started dosing 2 part since August/September when WC was not replenishing Alk enough. Lights are basic blue/white led fixture non-dimming. So I would say it's the water most of all.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Money...i saw your update on your tank thread..i know you just pulled that paver out but just wanted to mention the pic showed a lot of loose frags. I've found that you get much more growth when they are glued down to the rock and aren't rocking back and forth on the rack or sand-bed, etc. Just an observation.

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Thanx for the advice Inevo, your tank looks awesome btw!. Yeah I only recently started gluing and Exopy frags well see if it works in time.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: