LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi yall, I'm new, welcome me! =D

In this case, it's 'just' live rock 'fresh' via jet out of Fiji, that has been delayed.

Several days ago, ordered a box of fiji from liveaquaria with $70 overnight priority AM ship(only option offered) and finally last nite, got the email that it was guaranteed to arrive by 10:30am.

Upon ordering, i pointed out to liveaquaria rep Barbara that i'm just about 5-10 miles from the shipping point, and I am in the same exact county (Los angeles county). They could not offer me a local pickup, nor a ground or cheaper shipping. They did, however, guaranteed arrival the next day.

Well, I've been up since 5am standing in the doorway, alternating with looking out my ground-floor window, up till 10:30 and no show, so I called liveaquaria to complain and after a few minutes on hold, they came back with the story delivery was attempted at 10:30a. Sure.

I advised they only have all day today, as I took the day off last minute to look out for the rock and well just be lazy, and wont be around tomorrow as its too late. Anyways, she said she will contact urgent care but it looks like they will not do anything about the lying UPS deliveryperson(s).

So, should I bother to take yet another day off tomorrow in hopes UPS does not pull the same faked delivery attempt because it's Xmas season and they're busy up the wazoo, or just dispute this with my credit card that I paid $70 for next day priority AM UPS shipping and I have not received?

I already informed liveaquaria that taking yet another day off work is out of the question since I float between LBC & NYC year round, and especially considering UPS will just play the delivery attempt game again bright and early with me waiting early AM, isn't worth the gamble in my book so they might as well arrange return to sender if not delivered by this evening.

I fathom the rock has already been delayed from Fiji to LAX.. so why have to deal with another day delayed when I paid $70 bux extra for overnight by 10:30am? I mean, how much more die off could happen, day by day considering the rock is drying out right now and will all night long til who knows when. :(

Last edited:

LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked with Liveaquaria again and they said UPS is too behind schedule to actually make a delivery attempt, which is what UPS said when i called to complain they lied about an attempt.. so tonite I'll just let my credit card know to get it off my balance , i guess and then tomorrow if they attempt delivery i dunno if to accept it anyways but no way on earth I'm payin $70 for 2nd delivery when the rock is probably half 'dead' tomorrow; the warehouse is just 15mins away but they dont accept pickups. Their loss *facepalm*

C

Cu455

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fathom the rock has already been delayed from Fiji to LAX.. so why have to deal with another day delayed when I paid $70 bux extra for overnight by 10:30am? I mean, how much more die off could happen, day by day considering the rock is drying out right now and will all night long til who knows when. :(

I don't think the rock is getting overnighted from Figi. I think the rock just originated in Figi. You should have it delivered with no signature required. The UPS guy will just leave it on your door for you and you don't have to take off of work.

Last edited by a moderator:

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I don't think the rock is getting overnighted from Figi. I think the rock just originated in Figi. You should have it delivered with no signature required. The UPS guy will just leave it on your door for you and you don't have to take off of work.

+1... That rock hasn't been in Fiji in months!
Too many people following delivery trucks around, stealing packages... Stick with delivery signature required !

Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Liveaquaria does not trans-ship. So that Live Rock direct from Fiji was direct from their holding facility. Everything on it was going to be dead or dying anyway.

LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are so right! They left the box at my frontdoor the SECOND visit, this morning. So, I called Live Aquaria and they said they're refund the shipping ($70). I'm not one to lie and said it was stolen or something, lulz =L

I opened the box expecting to find some color but instead found just stark off-white rock and nothing, nothing else!

LiveAquaria's website listing for this particular Premium Fiji Select rock promises it is and I quote:

s 70-90% covered in Coralline algae on the top or show side of each piece."

"http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=393+397&pcatid=397

Aside from filing a chareback, and dealing with rebuttals etc, I also feel bad for the 100s, 1000s of other hobbyists like me that may be put in this position where if they don't have the time to deal with chargeback/dispute/return, have to settle for this junk...so I guess I'll file a complaint with BBB for blatant false advertising as well.

C

Cu455

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coralline might need a day or two in the light to color up. Give live aquaria and tell them about the lack of coraline, they might do something to help you out. I never ordered from liveaquaria but they have an excellent reputation. This is the first time I have ever heard anything bad about them.

LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx CU I just called them again (minuteago) And they checked with a supervisor who told me the same thing, to wait 30 days(!!!( for the coraline to come back because its 'invisible' right now. They said to mail a picture of rock now and the 30 Days too. Which means I have to take care of this rock for 30 days.

I have handled live rock over the past 20 years! This is obviously base or shelf rock. It looks like rock that was dry and put in water for weeks then sold.

Emperor's new clothes? *Facepalm*

LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LiveAquaria 'Premium Fiji Select' 70-90% Coralline (2wks not 4yrs old)

flN3390.jpg

sorry dont have time to set the timestamp, runnin late for LAX to JFK flight as it it and usually never use this cam anyways.

this 'premium fiji select' was received 2 wks ago from the Gardena warehouse per fedex tracking just 5 miles away from me here in cali, although the only return address on package is at liveaquaria in Wisconsin and they have denied me return, instead they told me to take pics and guarantee that at 30 days mark most of the 70-90% coralline will be back! *emperor's clothes?*

i had them under actinic and i didnt need to change water since they arrived, theres zero die-off as its obvious this is rock that was dry, cleaned, then put in sw to be sold as premium fiji live rock.

Note the red macroalgae i just purchased from lareefs, to see if it will even get enuf nitrates to grow, from this rock now that at 2 wks i have put 50/50 lighting over them instead of just the actinics.

i can imagine some of yall will vouch for liveaquaria, however, in my book: are they that desperate to fill high-volume online sales with CRAP? yesss /the end

Last edited:

Sharkbait420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock is garbage. Call live aquaria tell them you are going to dispute the charge. If they don't do anything drop the rock off at their place that is 5 miles away and call the credit card company.

Can you get more pictures up?

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I'm having a very hard time understanding what you're saying, and I have no idea what the problem is.

Coraline needs light to grow, just actinics wont cut it.
Coraline algae means nothing on rocks! Coraline will grow back by itself over time, never focus on coraline, pick good looking rock and the coraline will grow in time.

Live aquaria is THE BEST! Ive never had a problem with them after contacting them.

If the rock you bought came from fiji, then it dried out while shipping from fiji! Liveaquaria put it back in water.

You're complaining that there is no dieoff from the rocks?!?! That is a great thing!!!!
Die off means dirty rocks full of life that Died!!!

LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my flight was delayed but i'm leaving for LAX now. its a redeye; i'll be in NYC in the morning.

i will post more pics when i get back (after christmas day). the actinics and 5050 are on a timer. there is NOTHING on the rocks. granted, the lil purple patch appeared from my copious drips of kalkwasser, strontium, magnesium and starter coralline shavings, was green during week one then turned maroon.. but just one patch, and the other red spot is the red macroalgae from lareefs. but if its not magicallly 70-90% coraline on dec 26, which liveaquaria still boasts it will color up to in 30 days, they're getting a big fat BBB complaint as well as chargeback as well as lots of pics of the 'colored up rock' at 30days mark posted across reefer boards, then they can come pick it up since i paid $70(!) shipping. theres no address of the Gardena, Ca, only way i know about that is the fedex tracking says shipment originated there. every address has a wisconsin addie, including the return shipping address as if it was shipped from wisconsin when in fact they are hiding their 'coral farm' address (they claim thats what it is) in Gardena for good reason.

they also claim they NEVER had any complaints about their live rock, ever =D

like i guessed, some of you guys will vouch for liveaquaria, without showing pics of their LR received this year. *yawn*

gimme a beer! or a couple shot bottles on jetblue at least.. remember when airlines used to give out free booze? those were the dayssss =/

Last edited:

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I dont recall free booze on any airline (unless I was in 1st class). I do remember smoking on planes....how gross was that?!?! I was smoking though!

As far as the actual reason for this thread.... If you're unhappy with the shape/density of the rock that is one thing, but to complain about Coraline, come on....just give it time!

The plus side of getting this rock is that you don't have hitchhikers!!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: